23. Beautiful and terrifying

Unprecedented; that was the only way for me to describe the scene unfolding in front of me. The lights, the colors, the crowd. Everything was pulsating to the rhythm of the athletes in the middle of the ring. Beautiful and terrifying; the only true words to describe the moments to come.

Other than messages and phone calls exchanged between us, I hadn't seen the man I was longing for all week. We were both caught up in our own worlds; I was at the hospital before dawn and he was training with his uncle Elijah 'til the late hours of the night. The rest of the week had gone by so slowly, and I was beginning to miss him more than I deemed necessary. 

That was until he decided to sneak away from training the night before, and come knocking on my door to spend a couple of hours of the night with me.

"I missed you," I breathed against his cheek when he pulled me into him, before his lips connected to mine. 

My sleep deprived brain decided to hide him in my room, so Markus wouldn't discover us, only to remember later, when I was sane and had a cup of coffee, that I was twenty-four and his over-protective brother-point-of-view didn't really matter. Still, I dragged him in my own safe space, uncaring of the mess of books on the carpet, before I fell on my bed face first into the pillows. 

Contrary to the rest of my week, it was serene with Brandon by my side. The pieces fell into place, and unwittingly, I slept with him by my side, 'til the early hours of the morning.

"I have to go, Angel." My eyes had opened wide at his words, my hands clenched against his shirt, pulling him closer to me, and he chuckled at the distaste on my face. "Get some rest. I'll see you tonight."

His lips left one last soft kiss on my forehead, before he disentangled himself from my limbs and left before the other two people living in my apartment found out. It wouldn't really matter if they did, but I wanted to savor in this feeling growing between the two of us first, before anyone else found out.

"I can't believe we're sitting in the first row. This is fucking awesome." Markus' excitement wasn't new, these past few days, and the closer the day came, the more excited he felt. We all did.

The stage was so close to us and we could clearly see the people on the stage just a few meters away from us. The referee was already there, along with the coaches of each athlete, currently waiting by their corners.

Suddenly, the crowd around us stood on their feet and cheered for the athletes, who descended from their corresponding sides, before they climbed up the stage to take their place inside the ring. I was immediately drawn to Brandon, dressed in silky black shorts and a robe, a protective helmet and mouthguard already in place. He took his robe off, making everyone in the stadium cheer loudly, as he jumped on his bare feet to warm up. 

Everything was such a huge contrast to the crisp shirts and trousers he usually wore, but I couldn't lie to myself; I was desiring this side of him just as much. Everything. From his determined eyes, to his sculpted physique, to the fire emanating from around him as he sized his opponent.

"That's Isaac Meyers," Jaxon spoke beside my ear, pointing to the man dressed in silver. "He's new to the whole scene, but apparently has seven consecutive wins under his belt."

"He's going by the name 'Overkill', but I think the Guardian will eat him for breakfast." My brother had a certain glimmer in his eyes, obviously overtaken by the thrill of seeing one of his favorite boxing athletes return to the game.

"Do you think he'll give him a hard time?" There was no way I could hide the worry obvious in my voice and words.

"Definitely." Jax snickered beside me, and I turned to look at him with anger in my eyes. The two boys were now laughing at my horror-filled face, and I turned my attention towards Brandon, worry finally overtaking me.