44. What deal?

As promised, the wait is over.

Enjoy! ^_^

___

Erika's POV:

"You know the deal, Cyrus."

From our angle we couldn't see her face, but her voice held strength. Certainly, this wasn't her first time in this rodeo. And seeing how casually she called him by his name, she knew him in a way no one else had.

"Of course, I do, my dear." Cyrus scratched his chin, playing with the cigar in his other hand, before taking a long drag. "Continue holding your end, and I won't hurt a single hair on his head," he said, each word drowning in smoke.

"You won't hurt anyone. That's our deal."

"It's always nice doing business with you, my dear," were his last words as he turned the other way, waving his hand in a dismissive way.

Viviana and James were still seated silently beside each other, when I turned towards Brandon, questions reeling in my brain.

"What now?" I whispered, only for him to shake his head.

I wasn't sure he'd have the answers this time.

Turning around, I saw James turn his head our way. If it wasn't for Brandon's fast reflexes as he pulled me away from the balcony's threshold, we'd surely be exposed.

Doing our best to remain silent, we heard the two move around, until they were gone. For a couple of seconds, we couldn't hear anything, except our erratic breathing.

Maybe we could sneak out without anyone finding out we were here this whole time. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to search for cameras in the corridors as I was coming here, but since we weren't caught until now, hopefully there weren't any.

Brandon's body relaxed behind me, and stealing another glance around, he assured me with a nod of his head that we were alone.

We were ready to make a run for it, when we heard footsteps behind the mirror-door.

"I know you're in there."

It was Viviana.

My eyes were locked on Brandon's; a storm brewing inside of them. I would gladly face her with him, but before I took another step towards him, he shook his head.

'Let me,' he mouthed my way.

Seconds passed, but it felt longer, until I finally nodded; accepting I'd stay here, hidden, until he came for me.

He stood up, pushing on the glass door separating us from her, while I remained with my back to the wall and out of sight behind the pillar.

"Brandon?" came his mother's startled voice through the door, the minute he appeared in front of her.