48. Outside looking in

I was too tired to proofread but wanted you guys to read this. Let me know what you think (or if you find any unforgivable grammar mistakes I need to correct)

With all my love, enjoy!

Erika's POV:

"What do you think you're doing?" Savi said furiously the minute she walked into the doctors' office. I was still on the phone, so I continued to ignore her, turning my spinning chair away from her furious gaze.

"Have you any idea what a mess this will be?"

"Yes, I would very much appreciate that. We'll have them transported to your hospital as soon as possible." I said on the phone, the gynecology ward's secretary, of Indianapolis Hospital, happy to assist me.

"God! You're gonna get us all killed," Savi continued under her breath, her angry strides echoing inside the empty room.

With our last goodbyes, I put the phone back on the receiver, a triumphant smile on my face, as I finally turned to face Savi.

"What did you do?"

"Ms. Alberts' newborn baby is a very low birth weight infant, of under 1500 grams, to be exact. He needs immediate attention from an intensive care unit-"

"Which this hospital has and is beyond prepared to care for him," she interrupted me, vexation in her voice.

"But we are understaffed and with no beds to accommodate him. The University Hospital of Indianapolis was more than happy to step in and take the case, since we were beyond capacity to assist at the moment."

"Wha- Understaffed? That's what you said?"

"They'll be leaving in an hour with the helicopter."

"What?" she asked louder, baffled with my plan. "Does the mother know about this?"

I pushed back my chair, lightly this time, taking swift strides towards the intensive care unit, to see Cynthia's baby.

"She's gonna find out."

"And you're certain she'll agree?"

Savi didn't get another answer from me, as the door closed behind me.

Last time I saw the newborn was at the beginning of my shift, right after he was delivered. It's been more than six hours since, and the nerves were getting to me. His birth was risky, so I needed to see him, ensure he was still well and breathing. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to face his mother.

Walking into the neonatology ward, I was welcomed by the comfortable quietness and sleepy snores of newborn babies. They all looked healthy, with their rosy cheeks and tiny hands wrapped in baby-gloves to avoid unwanted scratches on their sensitive faces.