10. Stellz is a state of mind

Erika's POV:

had to leave his room. The atmosphere around us made me feel crazy hot from one minute to the next. And God knew I was trying to control those inexplicable feelings; especially on hospital grounds.

Thoughts were circling my mind. The conversation I had with the chief, Brandon, my on-call shift tonight... I was a hot mess, about to have a mental breakdown, and he just made it so much more difficult.

"Hey, you. I haven't seen you all day." Stella pulled me into a hug, as I was walked towards the locker room. I wasn't even aware of where I was heading 'til I reached my destination.

"I am so glad you're here. We need to talk. I need one of your best-friend-reality-checkups. Starting: Now!" I pulled her inside the secluded area. 

Thank God we were alone.

"Woah, woah, what's wrong with you?"

"Stella, how can someone see right through you? How can someone make you want to be with them every minute of the day and in such short time? It's insane."

"Please elaborate, because I don't seem to follow." She pulled me to sit next to her on the bench. Her side hug calmed me down, while I took a deep breath, trying to put my thoughts in a logical line of events for both of us to understand.

"It's just... Brandon and... what the chief said after the surg-"

"You talked to the chief about Brandon? Are you insane?" The frequency of her voice made the empty room echo in our ears.

Let me finish, woman.

"Let me finish, woman... I didn't talk to the chief about Brandon. I talked to him about my patient." I gave her a knowing look and she nodded. "I simply asked what was so special about this patient? Why did he request special treatment and why was the surgery's success a must? Which was, by the way..." I paused, trying to calm my nerves. 

"He was pretty vague in his explanation but did mention that he used to be close to his father and just left it at that. No further explanations, just more questions. And a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach that I might have blown everything up."

Silence followed and she furrowed her eyebrows while she scratched her forehead; a sign that she was thinking. Hard...

"If the chief was close to his father, then no wonder he looks out for him. Dios mio, he came with a shoulder dislocation, muscle tear and bruises." She paused for a minute, thinking about the second part of her best-friend's-reality-check-speech.

"I know that look." She pointed to my face. "You didn't do anything wrong... yet." 

Her chuckle wasn't helping whatsoever, and I playfully nudged her wrist to stop her from grinning at me.

"He wouldn't allow you on the case if he suspected this weird whatever it is between you two. Besides, he's living tomorrow. There's nothing he can do about it." 

"It's just that... I-" My breathing had sped up a long time ago, my beating heart beating erratically.

"Erika listen to me. Stop doing this to yourself. Unfortunately for you, this is not one of those things you actually prepare for. It's not an exam and it's not an interview, Erika." she shakes me a little bit, to see if I am still with her. What is this, a TEDx-Talk?

"Stella, he's my patient. And I always follow the rules... This is so hard. It's illegal..."

"Dios mio, you're the cutest control freak." She chuckled, pulling me in a tight hug. "Honestly, you have nothing to worry about."

He calls me Angelजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें