55. Broken Wings

Petition to change the chapter's title: Granted! Thanks, thoughtsofari , for all your love!! ^_^

Brandon's POV:

She's okay! :)

She's okay.

She's okay, she's fucking okay.

A startling cold shiver ran down my spine; the disbelief still palpable under my skin. But the words staring back at me were still there, spelled out for the both of us to read.

And like cold water, the realization sparked our movements. Both of us ran towards the elevator, punching the button to descend incessantly, as if it would move faster.

When it finally arrived at the floor we had to be, I followed Markus blindly, maneuvering down hallways, until we finally reached her room.

Finally.

The lights were dimmed, soft light from the early hours of the day coming from the slightly ajar curtain, illuminating her body. Another lightning of pain struck through me at her still body, but at the light motions of her breathing, my own breath left my chest as relief washed over me.

She was okay.

Before any of us said anything, Stella motioned for the both of us to follow her in the hallway. I dragged my feet without realizing I was doing so, even though every cell in my body demanded to be by her side.

"She lost a lot of blood, ruptured her spleen. In the end, they had to remove it because of the damage."

Markus cursed under his breath, both hands pulling at his hair, while I stayed frozen in place.

"Before closing, they sent Dr. Fisher inside."

"Who's that?"

"She's a gynecologist. Why, what happened?" Markus said, directing the conversation quickly, the terms Stella was spouting easy for him to understand the context.

"She has endometriosis. A severe form, as well."

"What's that? What does that mean?"

"Uterine cells are found on other parts of the body, following the same hormonal cycle, just like the uterine wall. It's not supposed to be like that, but it's pretty common for many women.

"In Erika's case, the cells are found outside the inner uterine wall, and they are obstructing the tubes completely."

"I don't understand. What does that have to do with-- She's fine, right?"

"She's stable now. What I'm saying won't affect her recovery. It's just... it can be difficult for her to have chil-"

I couldn't hear anything else after that.