1. First encounters

~ After he called me Angel ~

"I need a doctor... Right NOW!"

"Oh my God. She's bleeding! Someone call Dr. Marshall"

"GET A DOCTOR RIGHT NOW!"

"What's the meaning of- No... No, no, no... Erika!"

"She's unconscious... her pulse is strong, though."

"Get an OR prepared. NOW!"

"Yes, sir."

"Please, be strong for me, baby."

All the noises and the clutter of voices around me were just that. Noise. But his voice was what brought me almost back to my senses. Like a magnet, I felt him pulling me back to consciousness. I wanted to open my eyes and comfort him. I wanted to tell him everything would be alright. But alas, the pain was unbearable and I was tired; I was so tired. I just wanted the pain to end.

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm afraid you need to stay here for now..."

"Don't leave me, Angel. I can't live without you. You hear me? You're strong, baby."

His hands held my wrists as I felt his lips on my forehead. All the times he did this in the past rushed in my mind, making me feel like we're going down memory lane.

"Sir, you can't go any further-"

His hands slipped away, and just like that I felt my body and mind slipping away into a dark, cold abyss.

"I'll be here, Angel. You just come back to me, Erika."

I felt lost and unprotected with the loss of contact; my skin was seeking his warmth. The pain in his voice made the pain in my body a hundred times worse; I didn't want to die. I didn't want to lose him.

How did we end up like this anyway?

When I first walked through these hospital doors, I never would have imagined, that one day it'd be me laying on a hospital bed, in the same OR table my patients fought for their lives; now I was fighting for my own.

And just like that, my life now depended on my coworkers and colleagues...

My friends...

My family...