52. You're not going to lose me

I won't take any unnecessary time blubbering. I just hope you enjoy this chapter!

~ Dear J

___

Erika's POV:

"Do you mind explaining what the fuck this is?"

His shouts startled me, but I battled the urge to hide behind my Guardian this time.

Brandon, on the other hand, didn't even flinch.

"Have you or have you not been visiting her in the hospital?" His expression flared with each deep inhale and exhale, as the absence of any explanation made him even more furious. "For fuck's sake, answer me!"

A deep sigh left Brandon's lips, as he stood against the wall beside me, his shoulders covered with his silk robe; he chose a luxurious black color for tonight's game. It was obvious he didn't want to talk about it, but I had this inkling, if push came to shove, he'd win any fight thrown his way.

It was the first time I saw his uncle act this way; his usual stoic and aloof persona was nowhere to be found, as he took a step closer to where we were standing.

"It was a onetime thing, I promise. It was all my fault, please-"

I should have known; trying to defuse the situation would only make things worse.

"I wasn't talking to you!"

"Don't talk to her like that." Triggered by his uncle's aggression towards me, Brandon stood between us, fists by his sides. "It has nothing to do with you or any of them. I've been visiting my girl and that's that. Now, -"

"You idiot, you don't understand-" He tried to explain, but Brandon wasn't backing out of this one.

"What don't I understand, huh?" His eyes were piercing, filled with a fire he rarely showed. "From where I'm standing, I have two choices. Revealing our relationship, directing the spotlight directly at Erika, for everyone to scrutinize. Or, we shut up, make them cause a fuss on their own, while the feds start testing everyone for doping and drugs. I have nothing to lose with the second option. I have everything to lose with the first."

I hated how he chose to shoulder everything on his own, but his words held a finality, a strength palpable.

Elijah was silent for a few moments, contemplating the situation. I didn't blame him; he wanted what was best for his nephew. And his plan could be dangerous for his image as an athlete and a lawyer.

"You can stay quiet about it. I can cook a story for you. Reveal a photo or two, without exposing Erika's whole identity. Say, you met -"

"Absolutely not! She's exposed enough as it is. You won't fucking do or say anything."