63. Prayer for the broken

I should have known this would happen and get out of hand, but I let my emotions take over once more. I was also listening to Naya Rivera's song while writing this, so who could blame me.

Hope you enjoy!
~J

___

Erika's POV:

I was losing focus. The steps weren't that complicated, but I was dozing off, nonetheless. Maybe that was the reason I couldn't concentrate above the noise in my head; he was going to work, and I was stuck here alone.

"Erika, are you listening to me?"

Of course, Brandon noticed I was losing focus once more. I didn't know when it happened, but he was able to decipher my facial expressions and emotions better than anyone else. I thought I could hide my emotions easily, but he broke the code long ago.

"Hmm? Yeah, yes."

He was explaining the security system he set in our home. After what had happened, I wasn't surprised he was taking extra precautions and, if I was honest, it sated my anxious mind.

"I'm listening... so, you have the security application installed on my phone as well?"

"Yes. It's similar to the one Jaxon installed on your phone, a while back."

The day I found another piece to the puzzle. The day I met Anya. The day my pager was activated because someone wanted me to see.

"Liam created the codes for all these? He's amazing!"

"He's a genius, that little prick," Brandon said with a chuckle, making me smile at their boyish antics.

"And who's monitoring all these?"

"Alex has people she trusts, watching outside our homes twenty-four-seven. If an intruder tries to break in, we're all notified. There's no way of getting in without us knowing."

I nodded at his words, glad my family was included among the people protected by this.

"Liam was with her that night at the club, right?" I asked, curious about a theory playing in my mind after Liam's last visit.

"That's the one. Although, they're just friends... I think." He had a contemplative expression on his face, probably thinking the same thing as I was.

"I don't think she's the one he's in love with." It wasn't a question, on my part, but a statement.

He turned towards me, eyes searching as I voiced his thoughts.

"You think he's in love?" he asked, even though he came to the same realization himself.

"Mhmm..." I took another bite of my toast. "He seemed... off, the other day."