57. Scars

The wait is over. I present to you... this!

Glad you're here for the ride.

Kiss your loved ones after reading this. Or, even better, pause, tell them you love them, and then come back for this.

~ Love, Dear J

___

Erika's POV:

"If it hurts, stop laughing, you idiot."

"Look at you, feeling high and mighty after scrubbing in," I teased, eyeing the green color of his scrubs. "And who are you calling an idiot, you big-headed Neanderthal."

This type of bickering was refreshing in a way I didn't know I needed. I knew Stella and Markus had the right to do so, but after five days of doting behavior and careful words, I was slowly losing my composure. Still, I had to allow the influx of love, even if at times it felt suffocating.

"Tell me something. Preferably something to do with medicine, but I'll take anything at this point. As long as it has nothing to do with my own charts," I pleaded with him, the desperation palpable in the quiet room.

He looked deep in thought for a few moments, one hand wrapped around his chest, balancing the other scratching his jaw. I knew Jax was rotating in pediatric surgery, so whatever he had coming my way wouldn't be easy.

"Wanna hear about the operation I scrubbed in today?" he asked with a cocky grin.

"Jax, I swear to God, if I have to beg, you're gonna regret it."

"Fine, fine. Wouldn't want to trigger your Mediterranean temperament," he chuckled, amused with my desperate reaction. "Ready?"

"Born ready."

I could feel it in my veins, the adrenaline triggering my heart rate to speed up.

"Three-year-old boy came to the ER about four weeks ago with a complex, colorful clinical picture. He had a fever of over 102 °F (39 °C) for more than a week, with no response to antibiotics. He was treated for a streptococcal infection at the beginning because of his swollen lymph nodes, crimson lips, and strawberry tongue. Turns out it was a bad idea, because after that, poor boy had exanthema, localized mainly on the trunk and his extremities, without any change to high temperature."

I breathed in deeply, eyes wide as I was fully concentrated and made a list of symptoms and lab works in my brain.

I nodded frantically, urging him to keep talking. I had an idea of where this was going, but I didn't want to interrupt him.

"The attending pediatrician did all the work. You wanna guess what was abnormal?"

"High inflammation parameters?" I asked the obvious first.