4. Rock, Paper, Scissors, Paperwork...

Erika's POV:

If it wasn't for clinical rotations, I wouldn't have the chance to meet all the surgical departments. Granted, I was placed in orthopedics, which frightened me at the beginning. My short stature wasn't of any help in that department.

Still, learning from doctors like Dr. Marshall was something I wanted to take full advantage of. Trauma, bone diseases, sports-injuries; the man was a legend in that department. Giving the ability to a patient to walk again, returning normal function to their extremities, gaining back their life; what was not to admire?

Deciding to follow a career in surgery had its perks; studying together was one of them. Working for assignments together was always fun, although a bit tricky. Still, with Stella buffering the situation, the competitiveness between siblings was kept at a minimum.

Most times anyway.

As rounds came to an end, I sat with the other interns to finish up my paperwork. It was a busy morning, and since I wanted to stay on top of my game, I tried to finish this part of my work as soon as possible. Running labs, confirming tests and signing other patients in or out of the hospital was part of our routine. That, along with studying for a surgery I wanted to be prepared for, it was definitely a busy morning.

I was working on Brandon's case, when Stella approached me with a smile that reached her eyes.

"So... tell me all about him. How is he as a person? Is he as intense as he seems?" She was expecting anything but the confused expression on my face. "You do know who he is, don't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said, returning to my work.

"Oh, come on. Of course you, know him. You can't not know the Guardian. Damn, that explains chief's weird attitude this morning."

"You noticed that too? For a moment I thought I was imagining stuff."

I turned to look at my best friend who was now resting her head in the palms of her hands on the desk I was working on. She should be getting home soon. She really looked exhausted her nightshift.

"He smiled didn't he, I am- Wait a second. You are changing the subject. Back to the handsome man-" she wasn't going to let it go.

"There's no going back to any man? Now let me do my job," I tried to push her off the desk, but she wasn't having it.

"Right..." she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, before continuing. "Damn it, he's hot though. I mean, ¿cuándo Brandon King se puso tan sexy?" she whispered, stealing glances of the people moving in and out of the room.

"Can we talk about it when we get home?"

I looked around us wary and she nodded, since some were already giving us weird looks.

Turning back to the pile of paperwork in front me, Stella kissed the top of my head, before getting back to her own work next to me. The sooner she was done, the sooner she could go home. Nelle joined us, working on her own work, pulling stacks of paper from a similar folder as ours. The three of us worked in silence for a few minutes, until I caught her attention.

"You alright? Your face is red. You run a fever or something?" Nelle reached for my forehead, her eyes growing in size at my increased temperature.

Even though it wasn't flu-season per say, since it was the beginning of summer in Chicago, some days were colder than others.

"Just skipped on a few valuable hours of sleep," I tried to explain, pushing her hand away from my face with an awkward chuckle.

"And food," Stella added, exasperation in her voice.