9. A challenge

I was obsessed with this song, when it first came out. Naturally, I had to include it to this chapter. If someone needs to feel needed, is this man. Hence, the chapter belongs to him.

Show your LOVE for Brandon by smashing that Star at the bottom of your screen. 

Enjoy, angels!

Brandon's POV:

"Always."

...will you be here...

...will you...

...when I wake up...

...will you be here when I wake up...?

I concentrated on her voice, pulling me towards her, out of my trance. Just like the first day I heard her voice, when she first walked into my hospital room.

That first day...

I was angry and frustrated. I didn't know who attacked me, or why I was their target, and that was the worst. Granted, I had this retched feeling in my stomach, that if I wanted to know more, then I had to get in contact with the same person I grew up with; the same one I once called my best friend, before I swore to stay away from him to save myself. 

I remember our last fight. It was huge; it made the headlines. 

'Best friends turned enemies on opposite sides of the same ring.'

The last time I saw him was years ago, and I still remember the anger that pulsed through my body. I couldn't control myself. Or my fists. 

He reminded me of the guilt I felt, when I lost my father. That same poisonous feeling pushed me to almost destroy myself., and he was there to witness it all. Damn it, he was there to push me even harder towards my own downfall.

It was hard, coming back to Chicago, but I did, when I was ready. With my best friends and partners by my side, we managed to build our company from scratch. It took many, long sleepless nights, but we made it. 

He couldn't have been behind my attack; of that I was sure. But I knew, if I wanted answers, if I wanted to know who was targeting me, then I had to contact him; he had the right connections, knew the right people. Problem was, we were not on the best of terms. And I didn't know how to face him, or my demons, for that matter. 

Liam was blasting my phone with messages, trying to understand what the fuck happened. What happened was not important. I was alive. As soon as I was out of this place, the person that tried to hurt me would get what was coming for them.

Trying to keep up with my friend's questions, I typed as fast as I could with my right hand, trying to get everything under control. We had to continue running the company smoothly, so the media didn't get a sniff of the events that transpired against us. That would only make things worse, and I didn't have the time or energy for that.