Chapter 24 - Light in the Dark

Card's Castle, Throne Room

General POV

After a traumatizing battle with Jevil, the crazy jester, the lightners made their way back to the throne room. After re-stocking their item supplies and making sure everyone had the right equipment, they made their way through the corridor that lead outside, where the King of Spades awaited. The atmosphere was cold as the wind blew while nothing else made a sound.

Lancer could be seen there, walking towards a menacingly dark figure.

"Hey, there's Lancer...!" Susie immediately said. Kris stopped them from moving any further so Lancer could have a private talk with the figure, who they assumed was the king. The Squad couldn't make out his appearance due to the distance but he looked threatening even from there.

"Father!" The boy happily said.

"Lancer, my son. Have you dispatched the Lightners, as I commanded?" The king spoke coldly, barely showing any emotion and not even looking at the young prince.

"N... No, b-but... I did even better!" He began. "It turns out we don't actually have to fight them! They said they could just talk to you, and..." He continued before being interrupted.

"They're ALIVE?" The king stepped on the ground making a giant thud that stunned everyone for a second.

"Yes, and I think you'll like them a lot! There's Susie, she's very purple and strong, and..."

"WHERE ARE THEY NOW?" The Spade's king screamed, furious and completely taken back by the fact they weren't killed earlier.

"Umm..." 

Both of them turned around to see the trio staring at them silently.

"Hey." Susie greeted him casually.

"It's nice to meet you!" Ralsei introduced herself. The King stood there silently in an anticlimactic manner before turning his attention to Lancer.

"...Lancer. Lancer, my son. Do you remember what I told you?" He slowly walked to his son and grabbed him by the shoulder, gently.

"D... Don't get too attached...?" The prince hesitated, now starting to get nervous.

"You have failed. They have poisoned you with their sentimentality. Free yourself, Lancer. They care NOT for you. Their only goal is to destroy our glorious Fountain. They. Are. Scum." The king disappointedly explained. Lancer stared at him in shock.

"N... no they aren't..." He barely spoke.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY!?" The king screamed furiously and lifted Lancer in the air.

"Let him go." Susie stepped forward, in defense of Lancer. She held her ax without hesitation and threatened the dark king.

"Ha ha ha ha... You want me to LET HIM GO!?" He raised his voice and held the boy tighter. He then turned Lancer around so they could see how much he struggled. "Then how about this...? I'll drop him off the edge and let him splatter... Unless you all KNEEL and learn your place!" Through the shadow that was his figure, a grin could be seen. "What will it be, Lightners!?"

Susie groaned and looked at the king dead in the eyes. Without saying a single word, the trio mutually took a step back and knelt. There was nothing they could do without causing harm.

"D-don't listen to him Susie, he'll... he'll..." Lancer couldn't even finish that sentence. Kris looked at the floor, barely containing his rage.

"Now watch, Lancer... SEE what happens when you befriend Lightners!"