Burned To Ashes

Okay so I felt the need to make this extremely short because it's quite an emotional scene, so yeah. Enjoy!

-

Burned To Ashes

Cushioned chairs were torn to shreds and thrown across the room. Paintings were smashed with glass shards scattered across the floor. Almost all your clothes were burned to ash. Fresh tears filled your eyes in despair. 

Nothing.

Nothing was left of your beloved home.

You tread across your house carefully and looked around at the destruction that had been made. With a blink of your eyes, your tears fell down your cheeks and your knees buckled beneath you. A flood of unruly desire for revenge overwhelmed your being. But you internally shook your head clear of that thought as you knew that it would not be the answer. In fact, it would end up with you being killed. You knew that you were no match against men with the capability of death. 

Your hands squeezed the crumpled piece of paper that you held. Before you entered the door to your home, you noticed the note on the door. Neat handwriting with words with the meaning of annihilation were scrawled upon it.

Harbour the criminal 

Suffer the consequences

Now you knew from just those words who it may have been. Either the red coats or vigilantes. But how did they know where you lived? As you remained on the ground, your eyes widened. 

"The store!"

With such speed, you rose and bound for the door, descending to your father's general store. You had an undying feeling that something bad had happened to it. 

***

Darkened smoke filled the air and as you rounded the corner to the street that held the shop, a resounding scream rippled from your throat. Roaring fires of hell crackled through the scorching wood, making it crumble under it's weakening structure. People gathered around in panic and confusion, watching as the most popular store and its owner fell into tiny pieces. Someone came over and wrapped their arms around your sobbing form, a familiar adult voice spoke in your ear soothingly.

"Come my child, there is nothing you can do to save it now," Your Auntie Katherine helped you and led you to her house not too far away.  

***

You were not blessed with sleep that night, as terror flooded your dreams. As you woke up, your arms wrapped around your exhausted form, longing for Ratonhnhaké:ton's arms to be around you like they had that night before you came back to Boston. You felt safe in his arms. Safe and secure. Now you felt tense and on edge. 

That night your Auntie Katherine told you about the up rise of guards patrolling the area whilst you were away. And because of that, she warned you to be careful if you deemed to walk the streets. 

With that said, you trudged along the terrain of Boston, rounding corners with caution. When you finally arrived back at home, you entered and began to rummage around the rubble, in hope to revive stuff like clothes or precious valuables. You found a few dresses still in tact and your mothers ring, but nothing else had remained. With a sigh, you stood in the middle of your bedroom, inspecting your mothers engagement ring. Your father gave it to you after your mother had died.

"I'm sure your mother would want you to keep it safe for her,"

Since then, you kept it safe. It was a relief when you found it untouched. 

A creak from your bedroom door triggered your panic and you back up against a cabinet, your eyes wide with fright. However, when you noticed that it was Ratonhnhaké:ton, your face crumpled and you ran into his arms. Immediately, one arm wrapped around your waist and the other on the back of your head, keeping you close and in the protection of his arms. He looked around in disbelief as he saw the work the men had done. 

"It's okay, I'm here now," He whispered in your ear as your fresh new tears stained his white robes.