Life Goes On

Edited

Sorry that I haven't posted in like... forever. I was just struggling to write anything. But I thought, instead on fitting everything into one chapter, why not separate it. And so that is what I did. This chapter is just some background info on the reader. Basically it's about what happened between the fire situation in Connor's village and 1773 (If you know what happens the after the date this chapter is set, you'll know what i'm basing my next chapter on). Oh and sorry that this chapter isn't very long, the next one is hopefully going to be a little longer.

Anyway enjoy :)

---

Life Goes On

December 15, 1773

The brisk wind spread through Boston as the night drew nearer, the endless sky became relatively darker by the minute. Though not as lively as during the daytime, the nightlife of the city came alive with the drunkards swaying in each street. Your footsteps were large with the big strides you took, wanting desperately to reach home, away from the many flirtatious drunks that roamed the very cracks and corners of the city. Life in Boston was never short of opportunities, a list of the many things that were to be explored was in the heart of the city, waiting to be experienced. Yet, you had always stayed away from the many opportunities that were offered to you, not wanting to abandon your fathers business.

13 years had passed since you last saw Ratonhnhaké:ton, and many unpleasant things had occurred. In 1761, your mother was mauled by a pack of malicious wolves, killing her with no mercy and leaving nothing but ripped up flesh and bone. You had watched with horrified eyes as you sat in a tree, feeling useless and afraid. Your Mother had made you climb that damned tree as soon as the pack had appeared. She defended you with her life. Your father had came after an hour of yours and your mothers disappearance, he saw the bloody pile on the floor and saw you clinging onto the tree for dear life. You watched as your father became nothing but a broken man on the snow blanketed ground. Neither of you were never the same after that very day. Each day was easier for you, as every warmth of the rising sun awoke you from your dreamless sleep, you had lost the feeling of pain and became numb.

It didn't help that Ratonhnhaké:ton had left without saying goodbye. No goodbye, not a word, nothing! No doubt if he was there, then healing from the open wound in your heart would have been easier. But he wasn't there. He wasn't there to wipe away your tears and make you laugh. And for that, you were very angry with him. Even though many years have passed, your mind still went back to the day when Ratonhnhaké:ton had not arrived at the river like he normally would. The rushing water filling your ears, almost driving you insane when after an hour, was the only thing you could hear. With dampened hopes, you had gone home. You went to the river a few times after that, but when Ratonhnhaké:ton had still not made an appearance, you finally gave up.

You missed the view of the Mohawk valley, you miss it's lush green meadows and the vast amount of trees that wrapped around the river and lakes of the valley. You also missed living in a quieter home within the forest. The beauty of the wilderness made you feel completely at home. You had left the enchanting wooden house that you grew up in, yet often you would go visit your old house, and memories of your life with your mother and father came flashing before your eyes. It made you smile. However, pain struck your heart as the wolves that attacked your mother came to mind. And soon enough, you left with a lump stuck in your tightened throat.

A year after the death of your mother, you and your father had moved to the city, with hope of a more safer and quieter life. The life in the city of Boston brightened your mood, and for a short time, made you happy again. Your father taught you how to fight as he thought even a lady must be able to defend herself during rough times. Going into the forest, he taught you how to use a bow and arrow and a pistol and within your home, he taught you how to use a sword. But even with those skills, you had no use of them. No threats or offenses came your way within the city.

3 years later, you were just 9 when your father was diagnosed with pneumonia. You were given the job of giving him his medication and taking care of him while he was bedridden. Slowly withering away in the large double bed, you knew the pneumonia was deadly and had no doubt it would kill him. But you kept your hopes high for him. However all of that went to waste when on your 10th birthday, he sadly passed away. Now an orphan, you were sent to your Auntie Katherine to live with her until you were old enough to live on your own.

By the age of 16, your Auntie helped you buy the house under your own name, clean it, and start up your father's business in the General store again. Everything was running smoothy and finally you felt at peace. You felt you could live a normal life like everyone else.

Now the year was 1773, and finally 18, you felt like your life has calmed down from the previous life of disaster and pain. Hardly having a childhood, you knew you grew up too fast, and settling down was the best thing for you. Finally you felt at peace with yourself and with your past. The past was the past, and even though you cannot fully forget what had happened, you just accepted it.

On that night, you finally arrived home. With the creak of the door that always made you cringe, you entered the candle lit house that you and your father had spent a few years within together. The candles flicked the flames that danced against the draught, and lit the room like the sunset on a clear day. With little energy, as the day of work was tiring, you closed the curtains, blocking out the view of the blackened sky and stars. Business at the general store was often quite busy and extremely tiring when orders arrive. Heavy lifting isn't your strongest point so when orders came, you always wished your father was there to help you. Or you wish you had a employee to do the heavy lifting for you. You had always considered employing someone to do it all.

Aches and pains caused you to become slow near the end of the day, and made you tired when you arrived home. When you sat on your favourite navy blue cushioned chair, you sighed in relief to the instant comfort and slowly drifted off into a deep slumber of serenity.

---

I will be starting the plot for the next chapter either tonight, tomorrow or Friday.

See you soon <3