Never Alone Again

The golden orb above shone down upon the village with a celebration of yellow, warm, bright and full of joy. You took a deep breath as you listened to the gentle crashing of the waves and the drums that echoed through the sky, so blue and cloudless. Looking down, you were dressed in moccasins and animal fur, a traditional white wedding gown, dotted with beads, feathers and other decorations, of the Mohawk people, Ratonhnhaké:ton's people.

"Are you ready, [Name]?" One of the village girls asked as she finished decorating your hair in feathers. It felt strange being out of your normal gown of silks and cotton, yet it felt oddly familiar and like it was meant to be. You were ready. Ready to become one with the one you have loved for many years since you were children.

"I am," You replied softly, a smile fixated on your lips.

You were guided to the wedding longhouse, inside filled with all the people of the village, awaiting your arrival. At the end of the longhouse, Ratonhnhaké:ton stood, not in his usual assassin attire, but in his native clothes. The same clothes you saw him wear when he was younger, and it brought you falling back in time. Finally reaching his side, he smiled down upon your smaller form, his hand lifting to your face as he gently stroked your cheek.

"Are you ready?" He whispered, and with a nod, his smile widened.

You looked around, these traditions were unfamiliar to you. Above both of you hung a wedding wheel, its purpose to symbolise your hopes and dreams for a happy future in your marriage. You looked into the crowd, the tribe's council stood at the front, watching with a smile of the joyful union about to take place. And then your eyes fell upon Achilles, sat on a bench, his eyes content and more relaxed than you have ever seen him before.

Taking your seats at the main bench, the clan mother, Oiá:ner, remained stood as he began the ceremony. In English, he began to ask you questions, "[Name], are you prepared to be the wife of this man that you have chosen for the rest of your life?"

"I am," You replied

"Will you prepare food for your husband and children?"

The mention of children caused your hand to rise to your stomach and you nodded, "I will,"

"Will you care for your husband if he becomes ill?"

"I will,"

"Ratonhnhaké:ton, are you prepared to be the husband of this woman you have chosen for the rest of your life?" She turned to Ratonhnhaké:ton, asking questions.

"I am," He replied confidently.

"Will you protect your wife and your children?"

"I will,"

"Will you care for your wife if she becomes ill?"

"I will,"

Once the questions were finished, the clan mother picked up and held the beaded wampum, a belt adorning several beads that make up a pattern. With that in her hand, she began to make the thanksgiving speech.

"Today we have gathered and we see that the cycles of life continue. We have been given the duty to live in balance and harmony with each other and all living things. So now, we bring our minds together as one as we give greetings and thanks to each other as people,"

In a chorus, the whole of the village spoke, "Now our minds are one,"

"We are all thankful to our Mother, the Earth, for she gives us all that we need for life. She supports our feet as we walk about upon her. It gives us joy that she continues to care for us as she has from the beginning of time. To our mother, we send greetings and thanks,"