Four

November 11, 2007
The Day Five Leaves

     The children were all gathered in the courtyard of the house, reading Hamlet, since that was what Reginald assigned to them. This was the only time Vanya was able to spend time with them, so Lucy was sitting with her on the bench. Five was barely paying attention to his book as he knew what he wanted to do today. He wanted to confront their father at dinner about time travel. He wanted to actually do it. 

     He was currently watching Lucy, knowing she didn't approve of his plans. He wanted to do this for her, and she didn't even want him to do it. But he felt bad that she was going to be left this way for sometime, and he figured that if no one else was going to do something about it, he might as well do something about it. 

     The more he thought about what he would do for Lucy, the more he was confused and scared of what he was feeling. He began to think that there was nothing he wouldn't do for her, and that terrified him. He didn't realize people could like each other to that extent. He wanted to time travel for her, he would testify Reginald for her, he would rob a bank for her, but if he was really serious he would do anything she told him. 

     Lucy needs someone killed? Five is on it. Lucy needs to rob a bank because she lost $20,000 in stock? Five can get in and out within five minutes. Lucy needs her normal life back? Five is doing it. He imagined a life with her. He could see her laughing in his mind, he could feel her hand wrapped inside of his protectively. Her hand draped over his waist. The only thing he couldn't imagine, but dreamed about was her lips against his. 

     He thought about that a lot. He thought about holding her face, and kissing her with everything he had. As cliche as it sounded, he always thought it would be this big movie moment. They would've just gotten into a fight, and he pulls her back and kisses her. Or it's raining and their dancing and all of a sudden he just pulls her in and kisses her. 

     He realized he'd been staring too long, looking back at his book as it was harder to focus now. He couldn't get Lucy out of his mind. She was all he was thinking about lately. And every time he even thought about being close to her or talking with her, he got this nice feeling in his gut. As if there was a pounding feeling inside of him, telling him to get closer to her.

     Suddenly, the bell rang for them to come inside and use their free time. Five shut his book, beginning to walk inside as he saw Lucy talking with Vanya about their books. He tried to catch up with them, but Ben started talking to him about the last chapter. He briefly had a discussion with Ben about the book before saying goodbye and rushing up to his room. He saw Lucy in her own room, pulling off her vest to lounge around for a bit before dinner. He ran his fingers through his hair quickly, then knocked on her door. 

     "Come in," she said, as she was placing her book back on the shelf. He slightly pushed open the door, Lucy looking over at Five with a small smile. "Hi, Five." 

     "Hi, Lucy," he said, breathing out slightly as a grin tugged at his face. "Uh, today's chapters were really good." 

     "Yeah, I'm just disappointed we aren't allowed to finish it until  Friday," Lucy complained, folding her sweater on her bed. "I'm sad Ophelia's dead, though. You could tell Hamlet actually loved her. Poor girl was off her rocker." 

    "Yeah," Five breathed out. 

    "I guess there's just something about that first love," Lucy said. "All these books and TV shows make it out to be this euphoric, music climaxing moment. When you realize that you're in love with them. I don't know, guess I haven't felt it yet." Five's face then drained of color, and he seemed more timid to talk with her now. "Anyways, what did you need?"