Thirty-Three

Valhalla

     "You know, I'm starting to get the feeling Dad's avoiding us," Five said as they watched his car drive away. 

     "Hate to be the boring one, guys, but, uh, it's time we get the hell out of here," Lila said taking a step forward. 

     "When you say 'we,' who exactly are you referring to?" Five asked in a snapping tone. 

     "Not a lot of ambiguity in that sentence," Lila said, tilting her head at him. 

     "Listen, I don't know who you are or where you came from, but whatever it is, I'd advise you return posthaste," Five said, leaning towards her. 

     "She's right, Five. We gotta get outta here," Diego told him. 

     "I just saved your life, you kinder-shit," Lila snapped. "If I hadn't stepped in, all that would be left of you is a blazer and some bloody socks." 

     "And that's the problem," Five continued. "You're too good. You ask too many questions. You know too much. And you fight like you know what you're doing." 

     "I find it odd that instead of helping the man you've so obviously slept with, you help the 17 year old kid," Lucy said, crossing her arms. 

     "They've got a point," Diego agreed with them. 

      "So I know how to handle myself, and that makes me the bad guy?" Lila asked, raising her eyebrows at them.

     "Whoever you are, you're in my way. If I see you again, I will kill you," Five said in a more serious tone now. He began to walk away, Lucy looking Lila up and down before following him. When she caught up to him, Five placed a hand against her back. 

     "What's wrong?" she asked. 

     "Let's just get back to the apartment and talk about it," Five told her. 

     "No, Five, why are we here?" she asked, realizing she'd been following him blindly all night. "Why are we chasing after dad?" He looked at her, then sighed as he let his arms fall. 

     "The world's going to end again in seven days. We brought the apocalypse back with us," Five told her. Lucy froze up, her face draining of color as she looked at the ground. 

     "Is it Vanya?" she asked. 

     "Why?" 

     "Because it's usually Vanya," Lucy said. "I can't go through that again, Five." 

    "You won't," Five reassured her. "Everything will be fine this time." 

    "Really?" Lucy asked. "Because last time I almost killed my sister." 

     "Lucy, let's go back to the apartment and talk about this," Five said, trying to pull her away. 

     "I need to go back home and check on Allison. I haven't seen her since the riot and I need to make sure she's okay," Lucy said, stepping back from him. "I'll be back at the apartment in the morning. I promise." Five sighed, then nodded and motioned for her to go so he could wait for Diego. 

~*~

     Lucy got back at around 2am, and realized that Allison was asleep by then. She crept up to her room and showered, washing the blood off of her. She got it out of her hair, waiting until the water ran clear to get out. She cleaned her cuts and wrapped them, then got dressed for bed. She fell asleep for awhile, and awoke to talking downstairs. She rubbed her eyes and rolled out of bed, catching herself on the night stand. She went to her dresser and grabbed clothes out of it before jogging downstairs.