Twenty-Nine

The Frankel Footage

     It was around midnight when Lucy was woken up to the door being slammed open downstairs. She turned on her light and began to sprint downstairs to see the police holding Allison and Ray at gun point. 

    "What is going on officers?" Lucy asked, grabbing the bat from the ground and sliding it away from Allison's feet. 

     "These people keeping you here?" one of them aske. 

    "No! It's my sisters house!" Lucy snapped at them. 

     "Lying to an officer is a crime," the one in front of Allison spat. "Raymond Chestnut, your under arrest." The officer in front of him punched his gut, Ray bending over as the officer began to cuff him. 

     "Whoa, whoa! What are you doing?!" Allison yelled. 

    "What's the charge?" Ray asked as he as being cuffed. 

     "Assault and battery," the officer told him. "And possible kidnapping." 

     "I live here!" Lucy yelled at him. 

     "Officer, that's ridiculous," Ray snapped. 

     "You don't remember? You beat a man without provocation at Odessa's," the first officer said, Lucy turning to him. 

    "No! No, no, no, no, that was me!" Lucy said quickly. "I did that defending Ray. He was threatening to hurt them!"

     "No, please, stop it," Allison begged as Ray groaned in pain. "You can't do this." Lucy looked between them, eyes wide as she didn't know what to do. "I heard-" Lucy looked at her sister, the officer pointing his gun at her again. 

    "Back up. Back up right now or you're going with him," the officer said. 

     "Allison, do it," Lucy told her, Allison still staring at the officer. 

    "I said back up," he demanded. 

     "I hear a rumor," Allison said, her words beginning to echo. 

     "Allison. Allison, baby, it's okay. Baby, I love you," Ray said as he was being pulled out of the house. "It's okay. I'm fine. I'm gonna be okay!" 

     "Allison finish it!" Lucy told her, watching as Ray was getting pulled to the car. The officer eyes went back to normal, Lucy sighing as she turned and rubbed her head. 

     "Do we have a problem here?" the officer asked. 

    "No," Allison answered. "Officer." He backed up and left the house, Allison stepping back as she grabbed the wall and breathed deeply, Lucy walking to the door and slamming it shut. She turned to look at Allison who had a bewildered look on her face from everything that just happened. 

     "I'm going to go get dressed, we'll head to the police station in the morning," Lucy said, Allison nodding slightly. "Was that... Was that your first rumor since-" 

     "Yeah," Allison answered. Lucy nodded at her, a frown on her face. 

     "Okay. Go sit down, get some water, we can go first thing in the morning. I'll call my manager and say I can't come in," Lucy said. She walked past Allison and upstairs to get ready to go to the station first thing in the morning. 

     By nine they were in the station, and no officers were helping them. Probably because Allison was black and a woman, and Lucy was 18 and a woman. The first time they asked, they dismissed the two and sent them to sit down again. Around two hours later, Allison tried her luck at talking to the officer at the front desk again. 

     "Excuse me, Officer?" she asked. 

     "Yep?" he asked, barely paying attention. 

     "I've been waiting for two hours," Allison said, keeping her hands on her purse. "I would like to know what's happened to my husband." 

     "Name," the officer said. 

     "Chestnut, Raymond Chestnut," Allison told him. 

     "He's here. In processing," the officer responded without looking at anything. 

     "Yes, I know," Allison said in an exhausted voice. "I would like to speak with him." 

     "You his lawyer?" the officer asked. 

     "No, I am his wife," Allison snapped. 

    "Then I can't help you. Take a seat," the officer told her. She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off again. "Take a seat." Allison sighed, turning and walking back to Lucy. 

     "Honor and dignity," she said to herself. "Honor and dignity." 

    "Yeah, well, I have no honor or dignity so I'm going to go check up on him," Lucy said, standing from her chair. 

     "Lucy, you don't have to do that. I know you don't use your powers that much anymore," Allison said, giving her a sad smile. 

     "Yeah, I don't care. I make exceptions for racists," she said, turning and going into the bathroom. She cloaked herself and came out before the door closed, following an officer into the holding room. She saw that Ray sitting in the corner with other black men in one cell, and about three white men in the other. She saw an officer walking in, and moved out of the way as the guy he was holding wouldn't stop talking. But she knew that Ray was okay. She sighed, catching the cell door and walking out to go see Allison again. She uncloaked herself in the bathroom and walked out, going to Allison. "He's fine. Doesn't seem to be hurt." 

     "Thank god," Allison breathed out. 

     "Look, let me talk to an officer, I can get us in there," Lucy told her as someone was coming out of the jail cells. "I know you don't want to rumor, so let me work my magic." 

     "Fine," Allison said, "do whatever you can." Lucy smiled, turning and walking to the front desk again. 

     "Hello, officer," Lucy said. "I would like to speak with Raymond Chestnut, he's in holding." 

     "I told you to wai-" 

     "Here's twenty dollars," Lucy said, pulling out a twenty she carried around. The officers eyes widened, Lucy raising her eyebrows at him. "We have a deal?" He nodded, getting out of the booth and motioning for the two to follow him to the holding cells. They got in, the officer, taking the twenty dollars as Allison walked to Ray. Lucy stayed leaned up against the cell for whites, to give them privacy. 

    "Have you spoken to the prophet?" a man asked, Lucy looking at him through the bars. 

     "Yeah, I'm real tight with him," Lucy said, feeding into his delusion. 

     "Then you know he is the one sent to save us," the man said, Lucy rolling her eyes. He held up the palms of his hands to reveal a "Hello" tattoo on his right hand, and a "Goodbye" tattoo on his left. 

     "Where did you get that?" she asked, stepping back to look at him. 

     "All the children of the prophet have them," he answered. Allison walked over as it was time, but also noticed the tattoo's. 

     "And does this 'prophet' have a name?" Lucy asked, crossing her arms. 

     "Yes, yes. Klaus. Hargreeves," the man answered. 

     "Great," Lucy said with a sigh. "Just great." She turned and walked out with Allison, knowing they now had to go find Klaus together.