Six

~*~

     The siblings were all sitting in the living room, Klaus behind the bar making himself a drink. It was quiet as they were all sipping on drinks, not knowing where to start. Luther had called the family meeting, and of course Lucy was expecting it to go horribly. 

     "I guess we should get this started. So, I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown. Say a few words, just at Dad's favorite spot," Luther said, looking around at them. 

     "Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison asked in confusion. 

     "You know, under the oak tree," Luther said. "We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever did that?" 

     "Will there be refreshments?" Klaus asked, walking up to the couch. "Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner." 

     "What? No. And put that out. Dad didn't allow smoking in here," Luther snapped at him. 

    "Is that my skirt?" Allison asked in shock. 

     "What? Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room. It's a little dated, I know, but it's very breathey on the bits," Klaus said, motioning towards his crotch. 

     "Listen up. Still some important things that we need to discuss, all right?" Luther said, Klaus looking over quickly. 

     "Like what?" Lucy asked. 

     "Like the way he died," Luther answered. 

     "And here we go," Diego breathed out. 

     "I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack," Vanya said in confusion. 

     "Yeah, according to the coroner," Luther said. 

     "Well, wouldn't they know?" Vanya asked. 

     "Theoretically." 

     "Theoretically?" Allison questioned. 

     "I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened," Luther announced, trying to keep it calm. "The last time that I talked to Dad, he sounded strange." 

     "Oh, quelle surprise!" Klaus gurgled. 

     "Strange how?" Allison asked, ignoring his actions. 

     "He sounded on edge. Told me I should be careful who to trust," Luther said, glancing over at Lucy for a second. 

     "Luther, he was a paranoid, bitter old man who was starting to lose what was left of his marbles," Diego said, slowly getting up and walking to him. 

     "No. He must have known something was going to happen," Luther said, then turned to look at Klaus. "Look, I know you don't like to do it, but I need you to talk to Dad." He scoffed, slowly sitting up in his seat. 

     "I can't just call Dad in the afterlife and be like, 'Dad, could you just... stop playing tennis with Hitler for a moment and take a quick call?'" Klaus argued with him. 

     "Since when? That's your thing," Luther snapped. 

     "I'm not in the right... frame of mind," Klaus said, putting it delicately. 

     "You're high?" Allison stated. 

     "Yeah! Yeah! I mean, how are you not, listening to this nonsense?" Klaus said, motioning to Luther. 

     "Well, sober up, this is important," Luther said again, Klaus sighing and falling back on the couch again. 

     "Then there's the issue of the missing monocle," Luther said. Lucy looked up at him, adjusting the way she was sitting uncomfortably.