Forty-Two

The End of Something

     Lucy was stood next to Five as all of her siblings were standing in front of the TV back at Elliot's apartment. Klaus was upstairs after Vanya had shared about Ben's sacrifice to help bring her back and not destroy the world again. Lucy was disappointed, but she knew he couldn't hold on forever. 

     "Authorities are asking for help identifying several persons of interest at Dealey Plaza at the time of the assassination," the reporter on TV spoke. "The FBI believes they may have been acting in concert with the alleged shooter, Lee Harvey Oswald. Vanya Hargreeves, wanted in connection with the deaths of several FBI agents inside the federal building at Dealey Plaza. A Cuban exile known only as Diego-" 

    "Cuban?" Diego mumbled. 

     "Who recently escaped from the Holbrook Sanitarium. A bare-knuckle boxer with suspected Mafia ties who fights under the alias 'King Kong,'" the reporter continued. "Allison Chestnut, a Negro radical responsible for instigating and organizing the recent riot at Stadtler's lunch counter. And finally, Klaus, the controversial cult leader and known tax evader. The FBI is asking the public to be on the lookout for these unidentified boy and girl, who they believe is being held hostage by the suspected terrorist network." An image of Five and Lucy at Dealey Plaza showed on the screen, all of the siblings looking to the two. Lucy covered her mouth in a laugh, looking down at the ground. 

     "Well, it's true," Five stated. "I do feel like I'm being held hostage most days." 

     "God, I hate that photo," Diego said, leaning against the stair case. 

     "They're saying I instigated the riot? That's unbelievable," Allison said rolling her eyes. "Clearly Lucy started it." 

     "Yeah," Lucy nodded, then paused. "Wait, no." 

     "Look, the good news is that we restored the timeline and we stopped doomsday. So..." Luther said with a small nod.

     "Yeah, a bunch of real goddamn heroes," Diego said in a sad voice. "We let Kennedy die." 

     "I'm concerned with how invested you are in JFK. Do you have something to tell us?" Lucy asked, turning to Diego. "Because, you know, you could've just used your bullet curving powers to not let this happen." Diego's mouth hung open for a moment, and he looked at Lucy who shrugged. 

     "Don't give him ideas," Allison said, rolling her eyes. "Now we're officially the most wanted people in the world. The FBI is after us, the Dallas police, the Secret Service. It's only a matter of time before they hunt us down here." 

     "Well, where are we supposed to go?" Vanya asked with a shrug. 

     "I have this yurt just outside Reykjavik," Klaus said, slowly descending the staircase. "We could totally lay low there. Folks there are a little weird, but lovely. Very-" 

    "Hey, numbnuts," Five called, Klaus turning to him. "Hiding's not gonna make a difference here. The Commission will hunt us down wherever and whenever we go." 

   "He's right. They'll never stop," Diego said, still staring at the ground. 

    "I'm sorry, since when are you an expert on the Commission?" Five asked, crossing his arm and turning to Diego. 

     "Since I got back from there," Diego said. 

    "What?" Five asked, seeming shocked. Lucy rolled her eyes as they argued, stepping back as Vanya leaned over to her. 

     "What is the Commission?" she whispered. 

     "Long story," Lucy responded. 

    "Yeah, they headhunted me, offered me a job," Diego said, a smile spreading across his face. "Full time with benefits, which I had to turn down."