Fifteen

Number Five

     Lucy woke up the next morning to Luther asleep in a chair across the room, and Five still asleep in her arms. She remembered what he'd said last night, and her heart started to pound all over again. She slowly removed his arms from her, and crawled off the bed to get a breath of fresh air to process everything that had happened so fast. She walked out of the room and turned to the back door. She stood outside as it was already bright and sunny outside. The sun had just risen, and birds were loud as ever. 

    She took a deep breath, leaning against the building as his words played in her head over and over again. Did he even remember what he'd said? Five normally wouldn't just confess his feelings, he would have to be really drunk to do that. Maybe she was worrying about nothing, and maybe he did actually love her but didn't want her to know yet. 

     She rubbed her eyes, turning to walk back inside. She got in there to see Five was sitting up and Luther was still passed out in the chair. The two teens made eye contact, Five straightening his posture as Lucy slowly walked down the steps. She grabbed the water and granola bars Luther had picked up from the gas station, walking over to Five and handing him one of each. He took it from her, Lucy grabbing a chair and sitting across from him. It was quiet as Five drank, not looking at Lucy. 

     "Just so we can clear this up before Donkey Kong wakes up, do you remember what happened last night?" Lucy asked, looking up from her hands at Five. 

     "I do," he said.

     "Okay," she muttered, nodding slightly. 

     "Do you?" he asked. "Remember what I said?" 

     "Yeah, yeah, I remember," she told him, Five nodding slightly. 

     "Lucy, I didn't-" 

    "Oh, good, you two are awake," Luther suddenly said, making them look over at him. "And not slurring your speech. Means we can talk." Luther dragged his chair over to Five, looking between him and Lucy. "Everything okay?" 

     "Everything's great," Lucy said, pulling her legs up on her chair. 

     "Great..." Luther said, then looked at Five. "Now can we talk about you saying the world is going to end?" Five shrugged. "When's it supposed to happen This... apocalypse." 

     "I can't give you the exact hour, but... from what I could gather, we have four days left," Five said, setting the water on Diego's table. 

    "Why didn't you say something sooner?" Luther asked. 

     "It wouldn't have mattered," Five said, shaking his head. 

     "Of course it would," Luther said, eyes widening. "We could've banded together and helped you try to stop this thing." 

     "For the record, you already tried," Five told him. 

     "What do you mean?" Luther asked quickly. 

     "I found all of you," Five revealed. "Your bodies." 

     "We die?" Luther asked in shock. 

     "Horribly," Five responded, glancing to Lucy as he remembered telling her last night. "You were together, trying to stop whoever it was that ends the world." 

    "Wait, how do you know that?" Luther asked quickly. Five sighed,pulling the eyeball out of his pocket. 

     "This was clutched in your dead hand when I found you," Five told him. "Must've ripped it out of their head right before you went down."