Forty-Seven

~*~

     Lucy was the last person to stumble up to the pond where her family was, Five getting off the bench and walking to her. 

     "Oh, thank god you're all alive," Lucy said as Five part an arm around her. 

     "You okay?" Allison called. 

     "Apparently, so is Ben," Klaus said. 

     "Yeah. And he's a complete dickhead," Allison added. 

     "They're all dickheads," Diego said. 

     "Dickheads who can fight," Luther said as Five sat Lucy on a bench. 

     "Okay, next person to say 'dickhead' is getting a punch to the throat," Five said. 

     "Dickhead."

     "Dickhead." 

     "Dickhead." 

     "Dickhead." 

     "Dickhead," Lucy finished for them, Five sighing. 

     "Hey, did Dad tell you why he was calling them his kids?" Diego asked, Klaus laughing at him. 

     "He sure did! You ready? Dad was so repulsed by us back in Texas, that he adopted an entirely different group of children just so that he didn't have to raise us," Klaus told them. 

     "That's just peak Dad," Diego commented, sitting down. 

     "Isn't it?" Luther added. 

     "So he just didn't want us anymore?" Vanya asked. 

     "Did he ever?" Allison asked.

     "See? I told you we shouldn't have asked him for help in '63," Luther said, pointing at Five. 

     "I think you're all missing the big picture here. If Dad didn't adopt us as kids, he changed the timeline," Five said, Lucy nodding with him. "So who knows what else is different now." 

     "Shouldn't you know?" Allison asked. 

     "Sorry, Allison, but it might take me more than 20 minutes and a traumatic brain injury to figure this all out. Is that okay with you?" Five asked. 

     "No, actually, it's not," Allison commented. 

     "Guys, look, it's fine. We still have the Commission's briefcase, so worst case, we can just go back in time and fix it," Vanya said with a slight shrug. 

     "Great," Klaus said with a snap. 

     "Okay. There are two problems with that statement," Five said, grunting as he stood. "First off-"

     "Here we go," Klaus complained. 

     "Time travel is a complicated thing, people," Five announced. 

     "Yeah, we get it. Your job is so hard. Just... what?" Diego asked, narrowing his eyes. 

     "And secondly... I no longer have the briefcase," Five told them, all of them looking at him in confusion. 

     "Five, where the hell is the briefcase?" Allison asked, standing as he nodded once. 

     "Let's go," Five said, turning and beginning to walk. Lucy stood, going to his side as the rest of the family was following them. 

     "So... where is it?" Lucy asked. 

     "Somewhere in that house," Five said. "Don't know where."