Twenty-Six

12 Years Ago
A few months after Five left

     Lucy was sitting at the breakfast table with Vanya, the two of them not talking as all of her siblings had already finished eating. Reginald had left them since he knew they were more grown up now and he didn't need to supervise them eating. It was silent and Lucy hadn't really said much since Five left. 

     "Are you training with everyone today?" Vanya asked, Lucy looking over at her. 

    "No, I'm not training this week," Lucy answered. "I'm studying with you, they're all going on a mission." 

     "Why aren't you going on a mission?" Vanya asked. 

    "Dad doesn't trust me to go out yet," Lucy said, picking at her eggs. "At least I'll get to keep you company now." 

    "Maybe I can teach you a song on the violin," Vanya offered, Lucy slowly smiling at her. 

    "That would be nice," she said, nodding slightly. "Thanks, Vanya." 

     "No problem," Vanya told her with a smile. "We're sisters, right?" Lucy looked at her, giving her another smile. 

     "Right." Lucy smiled at Vanya. "Sisters." 

Today
The Icarus Theater

     The group of five ran into the theater as the music was already playing. Lucy turned her siblings as they stopped running so they could make up a plan. The took a minute to breathe as Alison began to write on her notepad. 

     I need to go in alone. 

    "Allison, I can't let you do that, all right?" Luther said, making her look at him angrily. "She's beyond reasoning." 

     "You hear the music?" Diego snapped. "It's started." 

     "Do you honestly think she's gonna listen?" Luther asked. "After everything that's happened?" 

     "We don't have time for this," Lucy snapped at Luther. "I'm going in with Allison." 

     "Okay," Luther nodded, Allison turning to Lucy. The two turned and jogged up the steps to the theater. As they grew closer to the theater, the tune slowly began to resonate more with Lucy. She suddenly remembered it from deep in her mind. It was the only song Vanya had taught her on violin. Her walk slowed as her and Allison split aisles, and she ignore the people glaring at her as she passed them. Tears were pricking her eyelids as she listened to Vanya playing the melody with the symphony behind her. And for a moment she could remember those blissful days from before everything bad had happened to them. When Vanya was just Vanya, harmless and kind and perfect in every way. Her sister that she looked up to for being the bravest in their home. 

    And as Vanya turned away from her music for a just a moment, she locked eyes with Lucy. It was as if time had stopped, and in that look there seemed to be an infinite amount of guilt and forgiveness passing between the two of them. Lucy began to smile as she blinked the tears out of her eyes, her hair slightly blowing back as she felt Vanya's energy radiating off of her. Vanya smiled at her, too. As if to tell her that she forgave her for everything. Vanya turned to look at Allison next, smiling slightly at the thought that her other sister forgave her. That she understood it was an accident and she loved her. 

     Then Luther and Diego ran out on stage, Allison and Lucy both looking at them. Vanya stood and with the whip of her bow, sent them flying backwards into the crowd. People began to scream as they stood from their seats to leave, Lucy looking around before looking back to Vanya. She sent the orchestra back to their seats and they continued playing as Vanya walked to center stage and played.