Eighteen

~*~

     Five sat in front of the Handler during their lunch break, a glass of water in his hand as she was talking about how they decided to kill Franz Ferdinand in order to start World War 1. He was thinking about how they'd offered him a body replacement, and couldn't stop thinking about Lucy. He didn't want to leave her behind stuck in a 17 year old body all alone while he looked 58 and healthy. 

     "And that's how Phil decided the archduke had to go," Handler said, sipping on the last of her water. "Care for dessert?" 

     "I had a bad Twinkie once in the apocalypse. It kind of put me off desserts," Five responded. 

     "Please, indulge me," Handler said, slightly sliding a bowl of candies towards him. He picked one up, unwrapping it and popping it in his mouth. "What's that taste like to you?" 

     "The 1950s?" he questioned. 

     "Precisely right," she said, lighting a cigarette. "Our clever metaphysics division concocted a way to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy. This one's modeled after the Fudge Mutt, America's favorite in 1955. 

     "Remarkable," Five said, looking down at his shoes for a moment. 

     "You'll be happy to know it's the very division that's building your new body," Handler said, Five looking up again. "Oh, that reminds me. I have something for you. Carla?" 

     "Yes?" a woman over the phone answered.

     "Would you bring the box in, please?"

     "Certainly." The woman hung up and seconds later she brought a box in, Handler taking it from her. She set it in front of Five, who stood to look at it. 

     "Go ahead. Open it," she offered. Five slid off the lid, seeing a suit that was far too big for his teenage body. But big enough for his 58 year old body. "Clothes make the man, Five. Won't it be nice when you can actually wear it? Very soon, I assure you. They're perfecting your body as we speak." Five considered it for a moment, slowly setting the suit back down in the box. "What's wrong?" 

     "I... I'm not sure I want my other body back," he said, Handler smiling widely. 

     "If this is about Lucy, then she is very welcome to join us here in 1955," Handler said, Five looking over at her quickly. "She's trying to stop the apocalypse, and bringing her here with you would surely put an end to that. Otherwise, we'll be forced to terminate her." 

     "No," Five said quickly. "Bring her here. I... I want her here." Handler smiled, chuckling slightly at his eagerness. "Just don't kill her."

     "I'll have one of our agents find her and pick her up immediately," Handler said, going to her phone. "Carla, call Daniels and have him pick up Lucy Hargreeves from the 2019 timeline." 

    "On it," Carla responded. 

     "She should be here in about an hour," Handler said, Five nodding once as he turned to look at the rest of the room. His worries seemed to melt away at the thought of Lucy joining him, but he still had his plan in mind. 

~*~

     Lucy sat in her car, staring at Leonard's house as she was waiting for him to leave or for Vanya to leave so she could follow one of them. She looked at the gun in the passenger seat, her heart pounding as she thought more about it. Finally, she saw Leonard step out of the house and go to his car. Lucy cloaked herself, and suddenly someone appeared in her back seat. She kept herself cloaked staring at the random man.