Fifty-One

Pocket Full of Lightning

     The group now stood around the pool tables, everyone holding a drink in different areas of the lounge. Klaus was lying on the floor tightly holding the notebook, Five and Viktor were leaned up against the pool table, Diego and Lucy were stood side by side, and Allison was standing in the corner gripping her glass of scotch. 

     "I'm so confused," Diego said aloud. 

     "Shocking," Allison responded. 

     "Well, someone killed our mothers, so we shouldn't exist. But clearly, we do exist, and the universe can't handle it, which is a problem," Viktor explained to him.

     "Big problem," Five sighed. Stanley mimicked another high kick, yelling out as he did it. 

     "Stanley! Now is not the time to be doing karate, okay?" Diego snapped at him. 

     "Mom said I need to practice," Stanley complained. 

     "Yeah, well, she's not wrong. You're very bad," Lucy told him, giving him a thumbs up. 

     "Well, I saved his pathetic ass," Stanley said, pointing at Diego who looked behind himself.

     "Okay, hold on. Five, so we caused a paradox. What does that mean?" Allison asked, cutting their banter short. 

     "It's hard to say," he shrugged. "It's all been theoretical until now, but things have started to disappear." 

     "What things?" Viktor asked. 

     "Right now? Uh, lobsters," he answered. 

     "And a shit ton of cows!" Klaus exclaimed, sitting up from the floor. 

     "I think Chet's dog," Lucy said, all of them nodding. 

     "But I have a feeling this is just the beginning," Five said, nodding slightly. 

     "A feeling? Aren't you retired?" Allison snapped at him. 

     "I want nothing more," Five said, giving her a tight smile. 

     "You know, you can't keep dragging us through hell because you have an itch only an apocalypse can scratch and then expect us to deal with the fallout," Allison said, turning and stepping to him. "You're not the boss." 

     "Fine, I'm the messenger, and I'm telling you something terrible is coming," Five told her. 

     "Then let's go attack the Sparrows, get the briefcase, and go home," Allison spat at him. 

     "This is our home, Allison. Accept it," Five said, looking almost sad to tell her that. Stanley suddenly knocked over an entire wrack of pool cues, making everyone look over at him. 

     "That's it! I'm telling your mom," Diego said, pointing at Stanley.

     "Ooh!" he responded sarcastically. 

     "Wait, where's Lila?" Five asked, turning around. 

     "Shower. I told her she could stay with us," Stanley told him. 

     "Wait. When did Lila get back?" Viktor asked, Diego looking at Lucy. 

     "Yeah, Lucy, when did Lila get back?" Diego asked, and she shrugged. 

     "This morning. Spent the day with her," she responded, Five raising his eyebrows as he took a drink. 

     "You and Lila spent the day together," he said, Lucy nodding. "I'll be right back." He walked out of the room, Diego perking up at his exit.