Chapter 23 : Harry's POV

Harry's POV

I watched Lizzie as she left the Hospital Wing. She hasn't been herself lately and I don't know why. I'm really worried about her. It's probably just because of what's been happening.

I sighed and looked at Hermione. She's my best friend. She's like my sister. We need to find out who's doing this.

I placed my hand on top of Hermiones and Ron gave me a sad smile, which I returned.

I felt something weird in Hermione hand. It was a piece of paper. I picked it out of her hand with a confused look and uncrumpled the parchment carefully.

"What's that?" Ron asked and I read through it.

Oh my god. This is it.

"Ron. This is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked. Come on," I ordered and we both ran out to the Hospital wing.

I read out the paper aloud as we walked through the halls.

"Many creatures roam our land," I began, "none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years. Death awaits any who are brave enough to meet this giant serpents eye. Spiders flee before it. Ron this is it. The monster in the chamber of secrets is a basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake."

Ron stopped walking and faced me. "But if it kills from looking people in the eye why is it no one is dead?" He asked.

I sighed. He had a point. I looked through the window in front of me and into the darkness. I saw my reflection looking back at me. That's it.

"Because no one did look in the eye. Well not directly at least," I beamed and we continued walking as I explained, "Colin saw it through his camera. Justin, he must have seen the basilisk through nearly headless nick. Nick got the full glass of it but he's a ghost he couldn't die again. And Hermione, had the mirror. I bet you anything that she was using it to look round corners in case it came along."

"And Mrs Norris?" Ron stopped again, "I don't think she had a camera or a mirror Harry."

I thought for a second. I thought back to that night. The spiders, the writing, the water on the floor.

"The water," I gasped, "there was water on the floor that night."

Ron nodded and I continued walking as I looked at the paper. The spiders. Spiders flee before it.

"Spiders flee before it, it all fits," I beamed. We worked it out. Well Hermione did at least.

"But how has the basilisk been getting around? A dirty great big snake, someone would've seen it," Ron sighed and I looked back at the paper.

"Hermione has answered that too. The pipes," I read hermiones writing and Ron sighed in frustration.

"The pipes!? It's using the plumbing," he huffed.

"Remember what Aragog said," I continued, "about that girl fifty years ago. She died in a bathroom. What if she never left."

"Moaning Myrtle," Ron gasped, catching on.

We have to get back to the common room and tell Lizzie.

Suddenly there was a voice on the intercom.

"All students are to return to their house dormitory is at once. All teachers to the second floor corridor immediately." McGonagalls voice echoed and Ron and I both looked at each other with the same confused and interested face.

We ran through the corridors and to the second floor. The teachers were gathered around a wall which I couldn't see yet. We both peered around the corner, listening in.