⋙ Chapter Eighteen

Man, oh, man, you're my best friend
I scream it to the nothingness
There ain't nothing that I need

Home ~ Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Troye

The next two weeks became a blur of moments spent in bliss. My new friendships were deep rooted in my foundations. My relationship bloomed like cherry blossom. And perhaps best of all - in some minds, at least  - my school work was the finest apples I'd ever produced.

Each weekend I met with Tyler, either at his or in the town. We'd hang out after school too, sometimes with our mutual friends. It was nice, getting to know more about him. I'd say he was easily a best friend, and perhaps I was closer to him than anyone else - even Caspar, who I'd known since birth. But I was shutting him out of a major part of my life. Eventually I decided it was time to make a big step.

I'd decided it was time he met my family.

"What if they hate me?" He said for the millionth time as I tugged him along the pathway. I was tempted to push him in the swimming pool in the hopes he might gain more sense that way. 

"They won't, I promise."

"Yeah but theoretically-"

"Theoretically, if they did, it wouldn't matter to me. I'm more worried you'll hate them."

"I don't think that's likely."

"I don't think it's likely they'll hate you either. I will warn you though, sometimes they come on to strong."

With that, we strode in. Instantaneously we were met by family, who had gathered in the foyer. I put my arm around his shoulders, and started the introductions.

“Well family, this is Tyler. Tyler, this is mum, Laurelle, my dad, Shaun-”

“We've already met once,” Dad said, smirking at the memory. Mum gave us a questioning look as colour rose to mine and Tyler’s cheeks, but I kept going regardless.

“- and my siblings, Steele, Sage and Tyde.”

“Hello,” the three said in unison.

“Hello,” he said back, smiling shyly.

Tyde squinted down at him for a long while, then said, “You’re quite short, aren't you?”

“Tyde!” I exclaimed.

“What? I was always expecting him to be six foot or something. Not that being your height is a bad thing, I just-”

“I think you've said enough Tyde. Just because your abnormally tall for your age doesn't mean you need to be rude about smaller people.”

Tyler was laughing softly though, “I bet I'd kick your butt at a game of Limbo.”

“Maybe, but what’s it like to be the last one to know when it rains?”

“What's it like being the first to get soaked?” Tyler retorted. I found it hard to stifle most my laugh when Tyde’s eyes widened in shock.

“Damn... it looks like you've found a keeper,” Steele said.

“Right, dinner will be at 6. Do whatever till then,” mum said, going to the kitchen. She stopped in her tracks, when she realised Dad wasn't following. “Shaun?”

He snapped out of his dazed state. “Sorry. I was just admiring my future son-in-law.”

“Please don’t do this to me,” I groaned, burying my face in Tyler’s hair.