⋙ Chapter Thirty-One

And we will step outside
Checking that the coast is clear
On both sides
Cause we don't wanna be seen
This is suicide
But you can't see the ropes
Run ~ Daughter

Troye

With our last minute packing completed, we were ready to leave. We walked to the doorway, just to be stopped by the others to say goodbye. We always seemed to be saying goodbye these days. I almost shed a tear when saying goodbye to Hannah, then almost whacked her when she said "see you later alligator".

The other goodbyes went by fairly smoothly - for me at least. The only odd occurrence was when Phil had said goodbye to Tyler, and he said quietly "You'll have to tell him about you and Monty eventually." Tyler stared at him for a moment. Then the two then walked a little distance away to speak. I didn't doubt that I was the him, but what else was there to say about Monty? I didn't want to hear more about his treatment of Tyler, not if it was going to make me feel even more sorrow. If he was keeping something from me, I figured that he must have had a good cause. When Tyler came back, he was looking slightly ruffled. Phil shared the same expression, albeit a little more sympathy in his expression. Neither talked about whatever had happened between them. It was like they'd never left their spots. Tyler simply asked Grace for every detail she had on Monty and then said we'd be off.

Grace was able to give us the last location Monty had been seen, and where she predicted he'd go next. I knew Tyler was determined to get to the border before him. The issue for me was that I wasn't entirely sure why he was so set on finding Monty. From what I'd gathered, Monty was one of the last people I ever wanted to meet. I thought that Tyler's number one priority would be to get his mom out of confinement. Or to get us across the border. I stopped myself from question his motives though. I suspected that perhaps it was for personal reasons, or maybe it was to do with political side of things... Whatever it was, I knew he had good intentions, or at least believe he did.

Walking through the city streets, it was quite easy to blend in, to move about unnoticed. We'd intended to buy supplies to make us look dissimilar to our usual selves. By the time we reached the city centre all the shops were closing - so we had to make do with what we already had. In an attempt to obscure his bright hair, Tyler pulled up the hood of his jacket. I did the same, hoping the hood would shadow my face. We walked in a rush, with hunched shoulders and an unwelcoming attitude. As time progressed strangers made an effort to keep out our path.  Most tried to focus in every direction except ours. It was as if we didn't actually exist, passing through crowds like ghosts. Never had I been so grateful for subconsciously engrained action that made people ignore "flaws" in society.

With little time to spare before the train was set to come, we managed to reach the station. Straight-away I was knocked over. Tyler helped me get to my feet before any major accident occurred. Whoever had barged into me had disappeared by that point. There were so many people inside. Around us, businessmen ran in a mad rush, shouting down phone as they went to catch their train. Children were crying relentlessly in the queue that had almost reached the doorway. Sweat pricked up on my skin. I was overcome by the extreme heat, caused by the sheer mass of people inside.

I assumed we had to join the queue at first, as most seemed to be waiting there. Just before we joined the line, Tyler spotted a ticket machine. Although it looked older than anything else in the shabby building, I knew it would be quicker - and safer - to use. As casually as possible we jogged towards it. No one else cut us off to get there first. I guessed everyone was worried the machine didn't have long left.

I searched up the price for tickets to Bersted, where Monty was said to be. The machine's screen kept flickering as we tried to purchase the tickets. Fluorescent flashes of light imprinted onto my eyes. I went on regardless. After a long wait the next set of options appeared. Although the tickets were expensive, I knew we had to pay. Sure, we could've tried to sneak on. But knowing my luck, the ticket warden would come around and that'd cause trouble than we needed.