⋙ Chapter Eleven

I was wondering if you and me could spend a minute
On the floor up and close getting lost in it
I won't give up without a fight

Dance With Me Tonight ~ Olly Murs

Tyler

All evening I had Troye on my mind.

Whenever I went to the kitchen to pick up more food, we would speak to one another. Once we parted ways, and I served people, I mentally noted things that I would tell Troye when I next saw him.

“Did you know the groom changed his surname to Sings?” I said one time.

“Wait really?”

“Yep. Apparently it's because she can’t say his surname properly.”

“I didn't think Graceffa was that hard to pronounce… Although, thinking about it, she basically can’t pronounce anything normally, so it’s not that surprising. What were Joe and Caspar talking about when you went over there?”

“Baby names.”

“That's it. There is no way they’re “just friends”,” Troye said, pursing his lips.

I tried to ignore the fact that we always said we were “just friends”, even though we behaved in a similar manner to them.

Sticking to his word, he occasionally gave me food, when no one was looking. It ranged from hazelnut chocolate cake to tortilla chips with hummus. When my hands were full he'd put it my mouth, in a somewhat seductive manner.

When I was serving Zoe more champagne, she was smiling mischievously. "You know, feeding each other food is very couple-y."

"No it's not," I said.

"Sure it is. Look over there," Zoe was pointing at Miranda who was eating seeds out of her husband Joey's hand. It was going everywhere, some even joining the twigs and leaves in her hair. Some must have got stuck up her nose because she started picking at it. It was nothing short of gross.

"Please tell me we didn't look like that."

"Nah, you two are far cuter."

"Tyler, can you come over here a moment?" I glanced around, to see the head waiter, named Jenna, waving me over. I hurried over to her, without saying goodbye to Zoe.

“Yes ma’am?”

“You need to act more professional. Going round with hummus on your chin and talking loudly is no the way to go. Waiters are meant to blend in, not stand out, and at the moment, you’re not doing that very well. You are working, not socialising. Understand?”

I wanted to argue with her, but I managed to restrain myself. I wasn't keen on making a scene. “Yes ma’am,” was all I said, then wiped my chin.

With a small nod, she left me alone. I walked back towards the kitchens in order to supply more drinks. I knew my feet were dragging on the floor slightly, so I mentally slapped myself. I could still have a nice time despite her words. I knew I’d still talk to my friends, but I’d have to be more subtle about it.

I knew that being subtle was impossible for me to do.

I walked around, offering drinks. Everyone was smiling, enjoying thr wedding, until the music stopped abruptly.

Miranda Sings was stomping towards the stage. Her lips were turned down in distaste. She practically spat at the female singer on stage. "Why I am I not singing? I am a singer, so I should sing."

"Honey, we both agreed to have the orchestra,” Joey said, approaching her slowly, as if she was a wild animal.

"Yeah, and I agreed that I was going to sing.”