⋙ Chapter Thirty-Two

You can all spit on his face like you did on mine
But at the same time try to look back
On the first gash you have made
Then you will see there is evil in every mind
Shame ~ Pale Grey

Tyler

~ Warning: some violence up ahead - it's not too bad (in my mind at least) but I'll put another ickle warning around it ~

A slap. That's what it took to wake me up. A slap from someone who'd haunted my nightmares for years.

"Long time no see," Korey said with a smile I'd once cherished.

Emphasis on the word once.

"I could've done with longer time."

I scanned my surroundings, on the look out for danger other than Korey. It was a large room, with grey walls and technology I couldn't even begin to understand. Korey himself was dressed in pristine white suit that made him cold and harsh to look at. He seemed to have a smile fixated on his face, seeming more and more menacing with each second that passed. Every so often he would fiddle with the smart watch on his wrist, evidently sending messages to someone as he spoke to me.

"Hey, I know you don't think that. I can see it in your eyes. You're happy to be with me."

"I thought you'd died."

"Yeah, sorry about that. To be fair, I thought the same about you. You weren't exactly easy to find."

"How did you survive Vegas? I looked for you but..."

"Come on, you should know by now people are always willing to help children. You were rescued yourself."

"Yes but who rescued you?"

"That's not important right now."

"Was it Monty?"

He gave out a short laugh, his head shooting backwards to emphasis how ludicrous he thought I was. "Oh, so that's what you're calling him now? Trying to distance yourself from being a Yokela?"

"Of course I am. Who in their right mind would want to be one of us?"

"You'd be surprised. So many people say they're a Yokela these days. They're worshipped for a week until someone has the bright idea to check, and realises they're nothing more than a sheep farmer. Not that there's anything wrong with being a sheep farmer, it's just a life many would avoid. And ours is a life most would desire."

"I doubt that very much. No one wants to be an elemental, let alone a Yokela."

"The name still has significance. Last week people were literally bowing for me."

"Sounds terrific."

"It is. You'd love it."

"I'm not about that life."

He smirked. "Oh but you will be."

After a pause, he said "It wasn't dad who saved me. He went running the moment the massacre began. But he's not moving anymore. He'll be of no concern from now on."

"What did you do?"

"Don't be shady. I did nothing."

"You control this... whatever this is. You must've done something."

"Honey I'm not in control here. I've got power but not all of it. There's a higher authority than me."

"I'm guessing that's the person who found you at Vegas?"