⋙ Chapter Thirty-Eight

You broke me and taught me
To truly hate myself
Unfold me and teach me
How to be like somebody else
Lost & Found ~ Lianne Le Havas

Tyler

If you'd told me ten years ago that I'd be rooted to the spot in fear because I was face to face with my father, I would've burst out laughing and called you a dumbass.

But I wasn't laughing now. The only noise I felt like making was a scream.

When I was younger he seemed like hero. Now he was something out of a horror movie. His skin was waxen, almost flaky in some areas. His elongated face was no longer one of elegance - it looked like something you'd draw when asked to create a monster. He ran his dirty claw-like hands over his mouth as he came out the shadows. He seemed to grin, but it might just have been the effect the blood encrusting what little remained of his lips. I shuddered, watching him draw closer with a limp in his step. How had this man ever been my idol?

"Why are his veins like that?" Troye whispered, eyeing Monty the way a prey would watch a predator in the distance. I glanced at Monty's grimy arms. As he moved forwards, I saw an unusual flash of colour. He had golden veins. They were prominent, almost straining to break free of the rotting skin. I'd seen a Lightning's veins go like that before casting, but he wan't making a spell. I had no clue what he'd done.

Phil knew the answer though. "It's injections. Like the ones I was given, to make powers malleable."

"Did he give himself injections?"

"If he wanted more power, then it's possible."

"Well of course he wanted power," I said, voice harsher than the others. So harsh that Monty caught it. And he smiled at me.

"My son knows me so well," he said, in a voice that made us all shiver. "How have you been, boy?"

"Okay. Better than I ever was with you."

He clicked his black tongue. Like a snake. "Oh come now. You said you wanted to see the stars boy. So I showed you them."

"No. What you showed me was death and destruction."

"But you liked it. Being a phoenix in a fire, safe from harm. That's what you are, my boy. But I guess you're not a boy so much any more, are you?" A howl lurched out his throat for a moment. It was animalistic - bestial. I winced as the dissonance echoed round us. But he recovered swiftly, and carried on as if it hadn't happened.

"I'm so so proud of the man you've become. My shooting star. I can see myself so clearly in you. We-"

"I'm nothing like you," I spat. My spit reached him. And landed on his face. Without a sound.

It took a moment for him to react - and when he did, it was with painful slowness. He wiped his cheek with two fingers, as if painting army stripes. Then he took four steps forward, fully breaking out into the harsh light. His voice ticked over dully when he spoke. "Really now? Is that how you want to treat your old man? Like a rat?"

"I mean, some people keep rats as pets. You're just a pest. Like a cockroach."

His lip twitched. "I thought you'd be pleased to see me."

"Why would I be? You broke me. I've hated myself for years because whenever I've looked at what I did I've felt like crying. I was never good enough to be evil, and until recently I thought I was too evil to be good."

"Well that's in the past-"

"I'd hoped you'd died. The day you walked away I was relieved. I thought it was finally over. But you and Korey don't like being dead for long."