⋙ Chapter Twenty-Nine

You are new

Never seen that face before

Punched in school

I guess that's what those scars were for

You Are New ~ The Trouble With Temptation

Grace

As the thunder tolled up ahead I found myself heading towards the window. Outside a storm was brewing. Torrents of rain were added to the mix, and it pounded against the windows desperate to escape. Darkness was stirred by a witch who cackled in the heavens above. Somewhere children would be crying, holding onto their mothers as they feared the sky was going to be ripped apart.

I couldn't care about elsewhere though - I had to care about here, out on the street below. I was expecting to see them any moment now, according to my source. They were to pass in a bright red car, looking lost. I didn't know why exactly I agreed to this. I guess it was hard to say no to someone you liked. Well, maybe more than liked.

I didn't know how I ended up in such a mess - a beautiful mess, but it was a mess all the same. It was odd to think that, up until four months ago, I had lived without any of sort of emotions prevailing me. I thought I was just ordinary. I glossed over the news because it didn't affect me. I believed I could do nothing to save the world I lived in. I'd resigned myself to a life of regret and misery.

Then she came into my life and suddenly life meant that bit more. Suddenly the meetings meant a bit more. Suddenly my status meant a bit more. Suddenly, being "normal" was a strength.

Somehow I managed to save myself. And I'd been working on saving everyone else since.

I might've thought she'd saved me but that's not how soulmates work. They support you as you become a better person. Romantic or not, everyone has a soulmate. I was just lucky to find mine before it was too late.

A car engine sounded in the distance. Checking that everything was in order, setting up all that was needed, I figured it was time. I darted down the stairs, holding onto the rails before I fell face first in the floor. I slowed I reached the door in order to look calm and collected. When I was ready, I swung open the door. They were now driving down the steet, about to pass me by. Waving my arms like a lunatic, I jogged towards the car. They saw me and swerved, before coming to a halt. The driver's window rolled down. I walked towards them, with what I hoped was a sincere expression. Judging by their expressions, I was the only person they'd seen in this ghost town.

"What kind of idiots goes driving about in a storm?"

It was the driver, the one with black hair, who answered. "The kind of idiots who can't find the Tu-Tube Hotel."

"Yeah that would be because the place got shut down a few months ago, you know, since the troubles started."

"Fuck what do we do now?" The blue-haired one in the back seat groaned.

"We could keep driving on to the next town-" the brunet giant with hobbit hair began.

The driver shook his head, spraying water like a wet dog. "No I've had enough of driving."

"Well what do suggest Phil?" The giant sneered, staring down the man who was only a few inches shorter. Unfazed, he shrugged. He was tapping the steering wheel, thinking carefully before making a suggestion.

I knew this was my last chance to talk to them, that they were about to slip from my fingers if I didn't stop them. I was pretty certain these were the people I needed, seeing as they all looked like the photographs. "I don't mean to interrupt, but do you think you can help with the weeds?"