⋙ Chapter Thirty-Nine

(Quick A/N sorry for taking a lifetime, life's been very difficult and so has this chapter but it's here now and I'm going to hide because it all goes downhill from here bc shit writing and drama ^-^)

What you give is what you get
And in your case that's nothing but guilt and regret
And all the flames you kept in your brain
Came out your lips and sent you straight into your own grave
Fire ~ PVRIS

Tyler

In a matter of minutes everything had changed.

Troye was a test subject.

I was a test subject.

What a messed up life we'd had, without even knowing.

My brain couldn't quite understand it. How had we never known? There should've been signs. There had been signs. We'd been able to cast spells together. And they were terrifyingly powerful ones. It wasn't completely unusual, it was written about in legends, according to our Powergy teacher...

That teacher was in the room with us. Phil. The third test subject in the room. My aggrieved stare narrowed down on him. How had he not known about Troye and I being test subjects like him? Surely he must've recognised the similarities in our powers? Wondered how we were so powerful?

He'd hidden it from us.

Perhaps he's the one I should be angry at.

My lips curved into a snarl, like a beast, as my last shred of humanity began to rip away. "You knew, didn't you?"

His brow creased. He was still mute.

"All this time... You kept it from us..."

He shook his head desperately. Wanting to speak. But he couldn't. Because Khanye-Knot didn't allow him to. Even if he could speak, it wouldn't have changed a thing. I wouldn't have listened. I was done with the waiting game. I just wanted to end this suffering. Once and for all.

Staring at my target, I lifted my hand. My energy flared. My energy blazed. I let it override my mind. Embrace the flames as my head grew numb. This was all I knew. This is what I loved. The rush of power no one could compete with. The sweet pain of violence.

I heard the crackle of a flame. I glanced down, acknowledging the fire that roared in my palm. Licked my skin with ferocious heat. It'd hurt him. Good.

I pulled my arm back - aimed - let go. The fire spun. Wildly. Gaining velocity. Faster than my heartbeat. Haphazardly twirling towards him. Strike him in the heart. End him once and for all.

With his body still controlled by the president, Phil remained still. Like a porcelain doll. Serene, tranquil, at peace. But his eyes were screaming - screeching. Wanting me to stop before it was too late. Praying I would.

I didn't. I watched the fire bloom. Watched it devour the distance between it and Phil. I licked my lips. Savoured the taste of revenge. I felt more drained than ever before, but it was worth it. It had to be.

Just as the ball grazed his shirt, something happened. It was dissipated. By a tidal wave of water.

In a frenzy I spun, scowling at the only Water in the room - Troye. He was panting. Heavily. As if all his energy had gone into that one spell. Why had he wasted so much energy on protecting Phil? Why had he prevented me from dealing out justice?