⋙ Chapter Twenty-Three

Sure as the setting sun
You can't trust just anyone

Iscariot ~ Walk The Moon

Troye

As promised, three days later I was sent a letter, saying I had to go to another “session” at the weekend. No one else in my family had been sent a letter. They'd all been considered a moderate threat. I was confused at first as to why I was seen as a bigger threat, seeing as abilities were meant to be hereditary. Then it was revealed that both mum and Steele had faked their abilities, and I was scolded for not doing the same.

My parents decided to train me for the next interrogation. They drilled government-friendly answers into my brain, and taught me how to create weaker water blasts. It took hours of practice, going over the same things over and over again. They wanted to ensure I seemed as innocent as possible, as they believed me to be.

When Saturday came I went to be questioned. It was at a different location that time, in the town hall. At the door, they took a blood sample with a sharp syringe, and forcefully took my fingerprint. After standing in the cold for ten minutes, they eventually verified my identity and let me go inside to wait.

Inside, I found myself surrounded by others in the same boat as I - fretful people who didn’t look remotely dangerous. No one in there was a killer. I’d positioned myself in the corner of the room, hoping no one would go near me. Fortunately most people preferring to sit by themselves, without communicating with anyone else.

Someone had to be different. And that happened to be my music teacher, Mr Howard.

I hadn’t noticed him at first, sitting there quietly, reading a newspaper. It was only when the inspectors came in that he started to make a commotion. He got to his feet, watching the uniformed men and women walk towards the questioning rooms. When Detective Inspector Dobbs walked in, he pushed his way towards him.  “Alright Dean,” he said. The inspector stopped in his tracks.

“Alright Jack,” he said, already seeming to find the interaction tedious.

“Hows the wife? Oh sorry, that's right, she left you. How long ago was that? Three years ago?”

“Four actually. We celebrated the separation last week in the pub.”

“I can’t imagine how you’ll celebrate after you’ve incarcerated innocent people in this town. Fireworks? Trip to Tenerife?”

“Depends whether you get locked up or not.”

“See, it’s weird to think back to when you thought having powers was just a small part of a person, and now that’s the only part of me that matters to you.”

Inspector Dobbs grew stiff. “I was never like that.”

“Oh but you were.”

Before he could respond, he was summoned to take his position in the questioning rooms. Mr Howard looked satisfied with himself, as he sat back down.

I didn’t know what to make of that event, but rather than think about it, I focused on calming myself. After half an hour of waiting, I was called up to be questioned. As I walked past Mr Howard he gave me a brief nod. I took a deep breath, and pushed open the door.

The inquisition room was larger that time, with more light shining through the windows. Yet somehow it was more daunting. There was the gigantic image of the President staring into my soul as I walked in. I looked away, trying to stop myself from trembling. Placed around the room were various formidable objects. Most looked like medieval torture instruments. I prayed they were there to frighten people, not for actual use.