⋙ Chapter Ten

Cause sooner or later
This is bound to stop
Come on, let's savor
What we're falling for

Apartment ~ Young The Giant

Troye

I stood in front of the mirror, restyling my hair for the hundredth time. I had woken up far earlier than normal. It was painful, but I wanted to looked perfect - for the bride, of course. Tim had told me she could get angry very quickly if things didn't go her way. I didn't want to make her mad because I didn't look exactly as she wanted.

Tyler going had nothing to do with the effort I put into my appearance, obviously.

There was a knock on my door. Sage popped her head around, and frowned. "Troye, aren't you meant to be there at eleven?"

"Yeah."

"You do know it's ten to eleven, right?"

I glanced at the clock on the wall. Sage was right. I was running late. "Shit," I said, covering my mouth instantly. I wasn't meant to swear at home. Sage's eyes widened, but didn't say anything. She backed out of my room as I darted round, pocketing my phone. I sprayed myself with cologne one last time, even though I definitely had enough on already. Chucking my black cooking jacket into my bag, I dashed out my bedroom. I ran down the stairs, slipping on the way. I shoved my platform converses on clumsily, before rushing out the house, and slamming the door behind me.

I walked as fast as I could to the venue without working up a sweat. The idea of walking in drenched in sweat and red in the face was not at all appealing. It was lucky that the venue was so close to my home, otherwise that might've happened.

Faint music could be heard a few roads away from the destination, sounding extremely similar to the orchestra I was used to hearing at the weddings. I walked in the direction of the noise, hoping it'd lead me to the proper location.

Passing row upon row of houses, I finally reached a gated field. It was clear I was in the right place by the streamers and balloons. Plus, a massive picture of the couple was covering the noticeboard. Although a little off-putting, the idea was sweet.

I pushed open the wooden gate, and trudged across the pathway, towards the building. I didn't make it far along before I encountered someone.

"Troye!" A small girl yelled, running up the path towards me. It took me a moment to realise it was Zoe, Tyler's friend.

"Hi?" I said hesitantly. We'd never really spoken to one another. She was unfazed by my awkward manner, and pulled me into a hug. After a moment I hugged her back, still unsure on what was going on. "Are you helping out here?"

"Oh no, I'm a guest. Miranda, the bride, used to give me singing lessons, until I figured I didn't want to be a singer. She was a little offensive about my singing sometimes, because of my accent, and because I couldn't get sounds right or whatever. She kept in contact with our family though, and she actually met her husband through my uncle. That's why she invited us all. Anyways I sent out to find you. I was about to turn back when I spotted someone opening the gate."

Wow that girl could talk. It wasn't too bad though, seeing as I had no idea what to say most of the time, and she seemed nice enough.

"How'd you know I was coming?"

"Tyler not-so-casually mentioned you were catering today, during one of his rambles. He mentions you a lot actually."

"He does?"

She rolled her eyes at me. "Don't act like you don't know. You're all he ever talks about now. He still talks about food. He loves talking about food. Did you know-"