⋙ Chapter Twenty

You're a holy fool all coloured blue
Red feet upon the floor
You do such damage
How do you manage?

What Kind of Man ~ Florence + The Machine

Tyler (again - how sneaky I am what what)

Montgomery Yokela Lunaire was a strange man - a controversial man - who happened to be my uncle. He had two sons, Korey and Mathew, and no wife. We all lived under the same roof during my childhood, in Michigan. The only male figure in my life was Monty. He raised me, along with my mom. It was nice - I got on with Korey, and mom seemed to be at her happiest when she was surrounded by family. I thought life would always be joyous, just like it was back then. Of course, that belief left me quickly after experiencing the real world.

I remember when I was five, running down the stairs just to discover my uncle in tears. He spoke of his failures, my mother soothing in him as best she could. It was to no avail, as he cried for hours on end. Korey ignored the commotion and put on the TV. On came the news, showing a few politicians standing for the elections. People cried out for someone to represent Elementals.

Monty took it upon himself to be that man.

He founded a party, named Elemental Movement - abbreviated to EM. He wished to get Elemental equality, where we and the Powerless lived in harmony. He started by gathering other Elementals in politics. He spoke to commissioners, district courts, legislators, elected judges - anyone who had the power to make a change. People were eager to join his vision, wanting nothing more than to live without the shackles they had worn since birth. Together, they drew up plans for how they’d gain equality.

It took years of hard work. A lot of dreaming went into the endeavour. Never once did Monty doubt himself. He was determined to succeed. I was eight when he finally had his breakthrough. He got in contact with an old friend who was involved in politics. She happily took him in, putting his small party on the map. Her name was Kayce Kanhye-Knot.

Who knew that within a decade she’d be confining those she’d once sided with.

EM were put on TV, in a debate against the United States Nationalist Party. It was the said to be the greatest debate to be on TV, with elementals confronting those who wanted to dispose of them. The USNP were made to look fools, whilst EM stood victoriously. We all screamed in delight when Monty came home, saying “the winds of change are blowing.”

At first I thought it was just one big game. Monty soon learnt how to speak in a softer, upper class voice, so that people would trust in his ideals. I thought he was an actor, the way he could change his voice. Occasionally I would appear on TV next to him, smiling with glee whenever I got the camera’s attention. The experiences were surreal, so distant from humanity. The thing that brought us back to reality were the attacks.

Aged ten, Korey and I walked home from school. It wasn’t unusual for that to happen - mom worked until six and Monty often had meetings midday. What was unusual was Korey’s behaviour. I often enjoyed the company of the older boy. I didn’t then. He kept changing our route, going off the roads and through the forests. Mom had always said to stay on the path, never to wander. I’d heard Little Red Riding Hood to know there were dangers lurking behind the trees. I tried to convince Korey to go back to the open road. He told me we couldn’t go that way. I asked why not. He pointed at the road. It was deserted, with the exception of one car.

A car that had been following us the whole journey.

I stood still, rooted to the ground with fear. Suddenly I was shoved behind Korey. A bullet came flying past us. It rebounded off a sign post that warned of rabbits. I screamed. Korey screamed. We were silenced as the window rolled open. The words he spoke were branded onto my forehead, never to fade.