⋙ Chapter Twelve

How long can I go on like this
Wishing to kiss you
Before I rightly explode?

If It Kills Me ~ Jason Mraz

Troye

Why hadn't I kiss him?

Everything was perfect. Music was playing, we were close to one another, staring at each other's lips. I could've done it. I could've captured his lips in mine and finally let out all my pent up feelings.

But no, obviously not. I was too much of a chicken.

I was kicking myself for not taking the chance. I vowed that the next time it felt right, I'd kiss him. I only hoped that time was sooner rather than later. If it took too much longer I presumed I'd end up pouncing on him in public.

In the kitchens I worked relentlessly, trying to beat the resentment out of me. Tim gave me a worried look but didn't speak. I guess if he had, I might've got let my anger out on him.

I wasn't the only unhappy person. Pots and pans were knocked over as Miranda stormed in. She spoke heatedly to a group of people behind me.It was as if someone had murdered her cat, and she wanted revenge. I ignored her ranting, focused on plating up more food. I felt sorry for whoever her anger was directed at, and whoever was having to deal with her right then. As I went to place the tray on the serving counter, I caught onto the conversation.

"My dear, you've yet to say who did all this," one of the men said.

"It was the waiter, over there," she said it as though everyone knew who she was taking about.

The man was squinting. "Where?"

Miranda grabbed the man by the shirt and pulled him to the archway. "THERE! The one with the blue hair!"

Only one person had blue hair. Tyler.

I dropped my plate. It clattered loudly against the tiles. No one outwardly reacted to it, including myself. 

The man studied Tyler with a straight face. "He seems like a harmless lad. Besides, it looks as though he’s leaving now anyway."

"What?" I said aloud without meaning to. Fortunately no one was paying attention to me. I rushed forward, through the archway. The man was right. He was leaving, and he wasn't going to say goodbye to me.

Miranda was still fuming. "I don't care. Go after him. He upset me."

"Miranda, you're whining again."

"Are you kidding-"

A blue light broke through the roof, shooting down to the floor. Everyone sprung back in alarm. It branched outwards, like lightning. I realised then that it was lightning. People on the dance floor ran to the walls, to get away from the danger. Only two figures were still standing in the middle. I figured they must've been the cause.

Miranda was unaffected by the events. "Anyway, as I was saying, I need you to-"

The man had had enough."No Miranda. You have to learn to deal with your own problems.”

She scowled at him. "Fine I will." She stretched her fingers out. I heard her whisper an enchantment under her breath. Red sparks appeared around her fingers.

Meanwhile, in the centre of the room, the lightning faded. I looked to see who was the cause of the lighting. Of course, it had to be Caspar, with his "bro" beside him. For once, the crazed look in his eyes had gone. It was the first time he looked afraid. “I-I-I didn't know that was going to happen. I couldn't control my emotions for a moment.”