⋙ Chapter Two

Somebody hates me
And I hate somebody too
I know it's wrong
But I do it too
And I guess I should say
Don't let it get to you

Somebody Hates Me ~ Reel Big Fish 

Tyler

With a skip in my step, Marcus and I were heading towards the canteen for lunch. Although I'd briefly caught up with our other friends, I was looking forward to sitting down properly with them. Of course, the food was a beautiful bonus. I had my fingers crossed that there would be ranch dressing this year.

"Why are you smiling so much? Today hasn't been that great."

Ever since I'd left the chemistry lab, I'd had a smile on my face. Despite the restless night sleep I'd had, and the post-summer depression, I felt cheerful. Even as I worked out inequality quadratic equations in maths, I'd felt my lips tug upwards. Three of the four lessons we'd had were beginning to blur in my mind already. Only chemistry was memorable.

Was it odd that I felt happy because of someone I hated?

I knew Marcus would say it was. Routing for the safer, quicker response, I replied with "Oh, you know, it just feels good to be back."

Marcus nodded, believing that was all. I couldn't tell him how it was mainly down to Troye. If I did, I'd have to explain the spell I'd cast on his cheek. That would be awkward, seeing as that was against the rules. Unfortunately, my friends were the kind that would make me fess up out of guilt for my violent actions.

I wasn't usually aggressive. Angry, sure, but never aggressive. Being friends with Earths had changed me. There was nothing wrong with that. I enjoyed being nice to people, generally. But there was something about rubbing the smile off his face that appealed to me so much... I couldn't help myself.

Then there was the issue of telling Marcus I'd cast a spell that they hadn't taught at school. You weren't meant to learn other spells for a reason. They were deemed too violent, or had disastrous long-term effects. Yet I been taught them, outside school, in case I was ever in a situation that required something more than simple retaliation spells. She didn't intend for me to use it against an annoying Australian boy. It'd felt alright at the time. If I'm honest, it still felt alright.

When we eventually reached the canteen, people were already queuing for food. We joined the end of the line reluctantly. We spoke mindlessly to another, both of us impatient to get food. Surprisingly, it wasn't as long as I'd first thought, even though one of the first years spilt pasta everywhere.

Amidst the hoards of people in the room, I spotted our four friends, already eating. I plummeted down besides Joe, making him jump slightly.

"Shanghai," I said, beaming at them all.

The only responses I got was a brief nod from Joe, curious glances from Zoe and Connor, and Dan saying "Someone seems happy today."

"Why wouldn't I be? It's a beautiful day."

"Zoe, Connor and Joe are normally the happy ones, and even they're not smiling."

"Oi!" Zoe and Joe said at the same time, chucking their food wrappers at Dan. Connor, however, said "It's because I haven't eaten much today" whilst chewing on his cheeseburger.

I understood Dan's confusion though. Zoe and Joe were Earths. They kept people grounded, a constant support, breaking up fights. They tried to see the best in every situation. Connor was a light - a crossbreed between Earth and Fire. He always seemed optimistic, apart from on the first day of a new year. Fire's were notorious for their foul moods. Marcus was a clear example of that.