⋙ Chapter Seven

Maybe it’s not the most romantic
Way to ask you out

Saturday ~ Sebalter

Troye

In our second powergy lesson, Mr Lester decided we would be working with the same partner for the foreseeable future. At the time he’d given a hard stare to Tyler and I, and we’d been forced to comply. By the fourth lesson, Tyler and I were happily working together, in our own little world.

The idea of being with Tyler didn’t anger me anymore. It took me a while to come to the conclusion that we were probably friends. I'd groaned in annoyance at the time. Then the idea grew on me, and I was happy to be with him in lessons. I was even tempted to ask if he wanted to meet up outside of school. Then again, I didn’t want to initiate anything. I didn’t have a reasonable excuse that wouldn't result in me admitting I wanted to be spend time him.  Besides, although I was beginning to think my feelings were shared, I couldn’t be sure. I didn’t want to act too soon, incase I had misjudged his behaviour.

Mr Lester was droning on about different attack spells for a good ten minutes. He'd said at the beginning we would be trying to control our opponents attack spell, but because Alfie didn't understand it, he went through it in great detail. Boredom and sleepiness caused me to yawn quite loudly. Luckily he didn’t seem to notice. Tyler did. With his eyes fixed on Mr Lester, he nudged me. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, just bored. And tired. I didn’t get to sleep until one in the morning. That's the curse of having wifi.”

He glanced up at me. “Tumblr?”

“Tumblr,” I agreed, meeting his eyes. His eyes creased as a smile formed on his lips. I reciprocated the action. Soon after we were dismissed to go and practice.

“I need to warm up,” I said as we wandered over to our corner. “So don’t you dare try to attack me, because I swear-”

Gurl, don’t come for me. I’m not that dumb.” Never had he sounded so American.

“Girl? I’m not a girl, I’m a boy. Troye the boy.” Tyler bit his lip to stop from laughing. He only restrained himself for a moment, before he threw his head back laughing like a little kid. His reaction made me smile in return. I hid it before he could see though.

When we reached our spot, I started to warm up. I was flexing my arms, willing my powers to surge through me. I felt it vibrate through my body, sending shivers down my spine. Then I stretched upwards on my toes. My arms tingled as energy pulsed around me. Cold air brushed against my stomach as I realised my shirt must've risen up. In the corner of my eye I saw Tyler watching me. I looked over at him and smirked.

He didn’t blush so much that time.  “You do realise you didn't put up a shield, like you normally do. Do you trust me enough not to attack you now?”

My eyes widened. I hadn’t even noticed. I’d presumed I’d put it up, seeing as I felt comfortable. Obviously my comfort was for other reasons. I thought about putting up a shield then, but what would be the point? “It’s not that I trust you. I’m just feeling lazy today.”

He rolled his eyes. “We both know that’s not quite true.”

I didn't bother denying it - he was right, after all. To save me from awkwardness, I decided to change the subject. "You ready?"

His eyes shimmered gold as he spoke an enchantment. "Hit me with your best shot," he sang. He opened his arms and had what seemed to be a hoola-hoop of fire revolving around him.

There was no point delaying the task. I shot rapid water darts at him. None got through the barrier, as I’d expected.

"Do you want to try controlling it now?"