⋙ Chapter Twenty-Seven

And meet me there
Bundles of flowers
We’ll wait through the hours of cold

Promise ~ Ben Howard

Tyler

As I drove out the town, I couldn't help but acknowledge the immeasurable ache within me. Although I'd managed to buy Troye roses at two in the morning - which might've made the cashier mutter something about the peculiarities of teenage love - it'd all gone down hill from then on.

Once I’d arrived at the hospital, the receptionist told me I couldn't see him. Because I wasn't a relative, and he wasn't in an unstable condition, I had no valid cause to see him outside visiting hours. My heart sunk deeper than the titanic at her words. I’d desperately wanted to see him, to have one more conversation with him, or even just to see his face one last time. But it wasn't possible - and that fact was a crushing weight to bare.

Instead of walking away, I was charged with a searing rage. A black mist evaporated off my skin. The computer started to spark.  Official papers in front of the receptionist started to singe. The plant on the desk burst into the flames. I asked her again to let me though, in as rough a tone as I could muster.

But the receptionist didn't react as I'd hoped. She merely rolled her eyes, cast water over the plant and papers, and told me to leave.

Seeing as my hostile behaviour was having no impact, I admitted defeat. I headed for exit, with my head hanging low. In my anguished state I almost didn't notice the sympathy being placed upon me, until my path was blocked. An understanding nurse looked down at me. He asked if I was okay, and before I knew it I was spilling out all my sorrows. I rattled on for a good few minutes, after which the nurse gave me a sympathetic pat. He was kind enough to offer taking the flowers to Troye’s room for me. By that point, I'd been so past hope that the sudden burst took me entirely by surprise. I was so elated, I could've killed a man if I'd wished - and I'd done that before.

Just before I handed it over, I hurriedly wrote a message for Troye and placed it within the bouquet. I had to hope Troye would see the note - that it would be good enough. I knew deep down words would never be enough, but else could I do? I asked the nurse to chuck the other flowers in the room as well - only because they were wilting, of course... Not because they were from Connor.

Upon leaving the hospital, I contacted some people who were known to be Yokela supporters. Mr Chapman and Ms Burr, who had been regular clients of my mother when she had laundered people's clothes, welcomed me in with open arms. Mr Chapman checked that no one had followed me, before telling me to stay for the day. I was more than happy to do so. I hadn't had the chance to get my head around all that happened, and a rest sounded good to me.

After I'd taken a nap, we talked through the recent developments in the government schemes whilst eating food. They spoke with yearning for a resistance, but it all went over my head. I was more focused on the food in front of me. As the two became sentimental with one another, I zoned out. In my head I figured that as the government - or whichever group Connor had been consorting with - had controlled Troye, they must’ve threatened the most important part of his life: his family. None of them deserved to be put in danger. They were some of the most harmless people I'd ever met. I knew I had to help in some way. At some random interval, interrupting Mr Chapman from compliment his wife once again, I asked if they would check the Mellet’s house for surveillance equipment at some point.  The two didn't question why, but agreed to do it. I didn't doubt that they would.

Soon after, it was time to leave town, again. Driving away was harder than before. I ignored the tear that rolled down my cheek, muttering it was just because of the dust in the car. I ignored the growing coldness unravelling inside my chest, saying it was just because it was winter. I ignored the looming loneliness that was oppressing me more and more each minute - but for that one, I had no defence.