⋙ Chapter Three

You manifest
You bring things to be
And your mojo witchcraft
Honey, it's working on me

Bang ~ Armchair Cynics

Troye

I was glad to leave school when the bell finally tolled. I left the sinking sadness that was school, and escaped to the comfort of my home. Although my family could be a pain, they were nowhere near as bad as the students in my school.

All three of my siblings had been understanding about my situation with Tyler. Steele, my older brother, advised me how best to attack him. He didn’t get into too much detail before my sister Sage told me to “straight-up punch him”. That led to my brothers making jokes how I would “gay-up punch him” instead. My younger brother, Tyde, had a different approach to the situation, and told me to start a rumour. We tried to think of a good one but none seemed suffice. Sage’s contribution was to tell everyone he was gay, but that was shot down instantly, considering it wasn’t offensive and he was already out the closet. By the time my parent’s had walked in, a plan was all but lost to me.

My parent’s were hesitant to support my violent endeavour against Tyler. Mum was the first to speak once I explained what happened and my need for revenge. ”Troye, just because he’s a Fire doesn’t mean you have to attack him. It’s in his nature. He might’ve been having a bad day. Besides, it’s not like he left a mark on you.”

I groaned, pulling at my hair in frustration. “You don’t understand! The Fires are complete-” I paused, remembering to censor my language in front of my parents “-jerks to everyone, especially Waters. Two of them covered Hannah in ash today! You know Hannah - she wouldn't provoke them in anyway. It’s just because she’s a Water. Bullying someone can’t be something someones born with. It’s not maybelline.”

My attempt of humour had no effect on my parents.

“Was this Tyler boy involved?” Dad asked.

“No but-” I was cut off by another question.

“Apart from the minimal pain in your cheek, has he ever hurt you or another student?”

I paused to think about that one. “Not that I know of.”

“Well then -  you’ve no reason to hurt him. You’re not angry at him Troye. You’re angry at the Harries. And that’s fine. You have a right to be angry at them. They were bullying Hannah. Don’t hurt the innocent just because they’re a Fire.”

They didn’t understand. They’d forgotten what school was like.

Walking back into the hell hole the next day was difficult. I had to keep reminding myself to unclench my fist whenever someone so much as whispered about what happened in the canteen. It was hard to remain calm when I knew how much the prank had affected Hannah. Hannah didn't have to break down in tears to let me know she was broken. It was the second day of the new year and already she was off “ill”. What was sickening was how many people thought the whole scenario was “a right laugh”.

I was lucky to have Alfie and Caspar with me, to stop me incase I really did punch someone. It may not have been credible, but I liked to imagine myself as a badass.

That day I had powergy - the only class Alfie and I had together. The teacher from last year had been fired under peculiar circumstances. No one cared enough to find out the details. Mr Smith hadn’t been a likeable person anyway.

Her replacement was called Mr Lester. The first time I got to see him was in the lesson, when he beamed at us and said “Hello, I’m Mr Lester” as we entered. He could’ve been mistaken as student, if it wasn’t for his slightly more formal attire. His hair was cut in a way that resembled half the boys in the school, and he had a lost look about him. The lack of facial hair didn’t help the image either. Before the lesson began I noticed a few girls and boys were goggling him