Chapter 51.

There are two types of freak-outs in the world. Shocked-what-the-effing-hell freak-outs and angry-what-the-effing-hell freak-outs.

I've experienced both in the past sixty minutes. The former from my mom and the latter from my best friend. In fact, Day is still going.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me! I bought the friggin' pee stick. How could you leave me hanging?!"

"Yes," I reply dryly, pouring a glass of water and leaning against the counter. "My new state of mind is nauseated, and in a few months, a person will be passing through my vagina, but let's focus on how I didn't let you know immediately."

"You're lame, you know that?" She narrows her eyes. "How did Harry take it?"

"Better than I did," I admit, summarizing the events of that night.

"What about his parents?"

"Asked us when we're getting married."

She snorts. "And your parents?"

I sigh and put the glass down. "Asked me when we're getting married."

Her snort switches to a laugh. "Shall I continue it?"

"Try it and I'll tie you to the Space Needle by your baby toe." I glare.

"I know. But seriously...?"

"We're not getting married, okay?" I throw my hands up. "We just got into a relationship, had a baby thrown into the mix, and I have to move in here next week. Let's not add rings and shit into that equation, got it?"

She hides her smile. "Got it. Although the baby kind of came first."

"Fuck you, Black. Fuck you."

        -:-:-

I let the last interviewee out of the bar and bang my head against the wall. One of five interviews today has been worth my while. The others were all jacked-up college kids who can barely tell their left from their right.

My stomach growls angrily, reminding me that I haven't eaten today. Thing is, I don't want to eat. I feel sick, but that's an empty stomach kind of sick, not a 'Hi, Mommy, I'm in here' kind of sick. But I'm afraid that, if I do eat, the sick will change.

I poke my stomach lightly. "You're already making my life hard. I know you're only a few weeks into this growing thing, but go easy on me, yeah?"

"Are you talking to your stomach?" Aaron is grinning when I look up. 

"More specifically the person inside, but yes, I suppose."

"Harry called me this morning. Congratulations, Liv." He hugs me and kisses my cheek.

"Thanks. I'm still getting used to the idea."

"Talking to your stomach will probably help with that." He smirks.

"You might technically be my boss, but you're also my best friend's fiancé, and if you keep that up, I'll have a few hormone induced words for you, sir." I flounce over to the bar and separate the résumés .

"I don't doubt it," he responds, joining me there. "Any luck?"

"It's going okay. Two cocktail-shaker guys—I really have to stop calling them that—and two bar girls. One guy for the weekends. I still need another four or five staff members."

"You and Harry go to California tomorrow, correct?"

I nod, sighing.

"Let me know who you want in and I'll have Dottie set up the interviews. Dayton can do it in your place."