Chapter 37.

The bar is slowly starting to take shape. And when I say slowly, I mean slowly. The issue with the stairs from last time means it'll take an extra three days to finish.

        Which is something that isn't going down well with Aaron right now—no matter how glad he is that it got him out of a third and final round of cake-tasting.

        "I'm sorry, Will. I don't have the time or the schedule for you to finish three days after agreed. You'll have to bring some extra men in." Aaron drops the blueprint onto the table and adjusts his tie.

        "I have no extra men. They're all booked."

        "Then I have to let your team go and bring in my standby builders."

        Standby builders?

        Will, the guy in charge, bristles. "There's no need for that, Mr. Styles. I'll call the office and see if we can bring another team in."

        "There's no seeing about it, Will. If you wish to keep this job, you will bring them in. You knew the schedule when you took the job on." Aaron turns away from him, effectively ending the conversation, and waves me after him.

        "Well, I'm glad you were here to have that conversation."

        His lips twitch. "Get used to it, Liv. Managing people means keeping asses in check by whatever means possible."

        "And I'm watching and learning from you." I laugh. "Do you think they'll have another team in here?"

        "Absolutely. I paid them twice their fee for the short notice and rush job. They won't want to lose the money or contract with me."

        "Power makes you kind of arrogant. Have you noticed that?"

        "I believe Dayton once told me something similar, and I'll say to you exactly what I did to her: It's not arrogance when it's the truth. With power and money comes ruthlessness. You don't do what I want, then we're done."

        I raise my eyebrows. "No, that's not a power thing. That's a Styles thing."

        He holds the door open for me with a smile. "On second thought, you could be correct there."

        "There's no could be. I am correct."

        "See? You have the 'don't argue with me' mentality already."

        "I have that because I'm a woman, not because I'm the manager of this place. I've had it since I was freakin' two years old."

        Aaron laughs at the same time that my phone buzzes in my purse. I dig it out and look at the screen.

        "Dayton," he reads over my shoulder. "If she asks, I'm still busy with the builders."

        I purse my lips and answer. "Hi, Bridezilla."

        "Fuck yourself," she responds without a beat. "Is Aaron there?"

        "He's right beside me. Would you like to talk to him?" I smile sweetly at the man glaring at me.

        "Yes. Now."

        Uh oh.

        I hand the phone over to him. "Your fiancée would like to talk to you."

        He shakes his head and steps away to talk to her. I grin, leaning against my car. I watch as he obviously tries to calm her down for whatever bridal kick she's on today.