Chapter 17.

Angus looks at me like I've refused another one of his dead bird gifts.

        "Oh, come on. Sean came in to feed you."

        His tail waves behind him.

        "Angus. What if I buy you catnip? Will we be friends then?"

        He hops off the counter and stalks away. He's one pissed-off kitty.

        "Do you often talk to your cat like he's a human?" Harry says from behind me, amused.

        "Do you often question everything?" I retort, stalking into the bathroom to grab the laundry basket.

        "I'm amazed you have a washing machine up here. You know, every Brit thinks The Big Bang Theory's apartment block is the standard, right?"

        I roll my eyes. "In smaller apartments, yeah. This is fairly big as it goes. Dayton helped me put down the deposit so I didn't have to fuck around with a laundry room."

        "She helped you buy your apartment?"

        "She said it was my birthday present for four years." I smile wryly. "Seriously. I haven't had a birthday present for two."

        Harry laughs and opens my fridge. "You have no food."

        "Between work and you, I haven't exactly had a chance to go to the store." I start the machine and stand up. "I still don't understand why you followed me home."

        "I have nothing to do today. I was hoping you could entertain me." He grins wolfishly.

        "Seriously? What, three times in twelve hours isn't enough for you?"

        "Babe, I'm a sex addict."

        "It's really cute that you're trying to pull that card." I tap his nose. "But it's not gonna work. Unless you're proposing we do something normal, you can go home."

        He stops. "Are you saying if I planned something to do, you'd come?"

        I freeze. "No."

        "No, don't do that with me." He bends down in front of me on the sofa. "I won't ask you to define what we've got going on. I won't force you into that, but don't keep it going backward. Don't panic every time I say or do something that might make you a little uncomfortable."

        "People panic when shit gets uncomfortable." Especially me. I like to freak. "But if you really, really want to do something, I suppose I'm okay with that. Kind of."

        And that's exactly how we end up leaving my apartment and heading out.

        +

        Okay, so I can understand wanting to go out. But the pier? When it's, like, forty degrees out?

        Uh, no. That I don't fucking understand. I also don't like it. One bit.

        Which is why I'm hiding out in the restaurant with a hot chocolate while he stares at me across the table. I class this as getting out, for the record. I also class this as a maybe-date. He should be thankful. He even got English tea.

        "You make things very hard."

        "I make something very hard," I quip, dropping my eyes.

        "It's never not fucking hard around you, you tease."

        I grin. "That's what you get when you have a girl who guards her heart with sex."