Chapter 20

Song of the chapter: Demi Lovato - Two Pieces

Imogen Poots as Zoe Josephs >>>

xxx xxx xxx

  It’s been four days since the lunch meeting with Cameron. A lot has happened since then.

  Everyone came back to work the day after the lunch meeting. They got away, though, since the boss himself didn’t come in that Monday. But they had a lot of catching up to do, since we got huge positive feedback and many potential clients kept ringing like crazy. The event was covered by the New York Times, as they do every year.

  I told Ash about what happened during the ball and on the weekend. She gave me a blank look. Like literally, a blank look like ‘I knew that already, Sherlock’. I thought she would be screaming and running all over the place, but she didn’t even blink an eye. But she was very concerned with Christian, and the fact that, technically, I was cheating on him with Cameron.

  Cameron, on the other hand, was trying to avoid me. I could see it on the day he came to visit his father for something that I assumed was important. I was heading back to my office from reception to pick up something. He was walking from the elevator, and he didn’t look too happy. I walked towards him with a smile.

  “Hey, Cameron,” I said. He looked up towards me and put on a smile that was obviously fake.

  “Hey Max,” he said curtly. He was about to leave, when I grabbed his arm and very lightly pulled him towards me.

  “What’s up?” I asked him. I saw a look of annoyance cross his face before he regained his composure.

  “Nothing. Look, I need to be somewhere right now so if you don’t mind…,” he said in a nice tone, which, too, was forced. My smile dropped and I let him go.

  “Okay, yeah. Sure,” I said and watched him walk away. He was walking in a rushed way. But not like he had somewhere to be. More like he had to get away from me. It set me on a bad mood for the rest of the day. He was contradicting himself, saying that he was going to try… us. But now he was running away from me. What had I done? What did I say? Maybe he was unhappy seeing me and Christian together… Yeah, that had to be it. 

  Christian was back in, indeed, four days. We met up at a hotel where he was busy with work. It was a meeting of some sort. After we met up, we went to a fancy restaurant that was in the hotel. It was really beautiful, and very exclusive. And expensive.

  Very expensive.

  We talked about what he got up to in London. He was there for work, and he didn’t have the time to play explorer. I scoffed at him, because who goes to London (or any other city, in fact) and not explore?

  Christian.

  “How can you go to London and not go places, like the London Eye or something?” I scolded. We were waiting for our order, and we were sipping on champagne. He looked really good tonight, and he was wearing a maroon suit with a black tie.