Chapter 10

Song of the chapter : Leighton Meester - Heartstrings

Cameron >>>>>>>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 I walked into the office, and nearly fell. I steadied myself on the door behind me. Someone bumped on me. I looked up to see Isaac.

  “Oh, I’m sorry Max. Didn’t see you there,” Isaac, one of my team members said. He was holding a golden card that looked very important. Like an invitation.

  “No worries, man. What do you have there?”

  “Oh, don’t you know? It’s the invitation for the annual ball dude!” Isaac exclaimed.

  “Oh… huh.” Now I remembered.

  “I am so gonna get laid,” Isaac said while walking away. I walked in further to see that almost the whole staff was running around with the invitations in their hands. I chuckled as I made my way to my desk.

  The ball, or the Mason Charity Ball, was an annual ball held by the company for, you guessed it, charity. A lot of rich and influential people were invited, and so was our staff. The only rule was not to act like an animal, or you would get sacked the next morning.

  And to look like you’re rich.

  I went to the ball last year, and it was interesting. But not my type of interesting. Mr Mason made a very entertaining host, and the food was heavenly. Ash was my date, so I felt less awkward. Mr. Mason also introduced me to some people. Business MD’s, media moguls, etc. it felt awkward having to shake the person’s hand and have Mr. Mason do all the talking for me.

  I’m not sure if I want to go there again, I would have to get the invitation then decide. But Mr. Mason would be really disappointed if I didn’t come, so I’d have to.

  The thought of being surrounded by people I don’t know makes me nervous. It’s not like going to the club, where everyone can do what they want without judging you. There, everyone looks at you and you’re expected to act a specific way.

  And everyone there was rich.

  So that scared the shit out of me.

  Ash came in, holding two invitations in her hand. She smiled goofily as she sat on the table next to my computer. She looked really good today, and also felt good apparently.

  “So are you going to the ball, babe?” She asked while handing me an invitation. I sighed and took it.

  “Well, I have to. Especially me. Mr. Mason will sack me if I don’t,” I said.

  “Aww, you know he won’t do that. He’ll probably consider it,” Ash retorted.

  I shrugged and looked at her. “Why are you so happy?” I asked.

  “Oh my gosh, Max. Why can’t someone just be happy in general without being questioned?” Ash said very dramatically. I quirked my eyebrow. I know something is going on when she does this.

  “Ash, what’s going on? You look really good, and feel good. You know that everyone in New York is never happy, only when they have a shitload of money. Everyone is either stressed, or drunk, or both. And considering you haven’t found a sugar daddy yet, I’m assuming money is not involved.” I quipped. She  looked at me, then sighed.

  “I found a date for the Ball,” she smiled while saying that.

  “Well, that was quick. Who is it?” I asked. Ash never really dated any of our colleagues, they all just asked her out. She is an attractive girl. Hell, if I was straight I would chase after her too.

  “It’s Chris, from the business department,” she said excitedly. I looked at her, confused by who he was talking about. Then the blonde haired all-American guy came to mind.

  “Oh…,” I trailed off. It wasn’t that I didn’t like her choice, it’s just that I didn’t really like the guy. He seemed like those frat-house guys who always ended up with bad attitudes. But I heard that he comes from a rich family, so Ash must be happy about that.

  “What?” Ash questioned. I was about to say it’s nothing, but then she stopped me.

  “I know that ‘oh…’ of yours, Max. Don’t say it’s nothing,” she said. Oh, she knew me too well.

  “It’s just that I don’t really know the guy,” I lied.

  “And?” she pressed on.

  “And I think he’s an asshole,” I told her truthfully this time.

  “You’re right. You don’t really know the guy,” she retorted, jumping off the desk.

  “Hey, Ash. Don’t hate on me now. Like I told you, I don’t really know him. So I’m not able to pass complete judgement on him,” I told her. She smiled.

  “Don’t worry, I’m not gonna get married to him, you doofus. But he is really sweet,” she said. I could see that this was making her really happy, so I was going to support like she supports me in all of my relationships. She really is the best friend that anyone could wish for.

  “So, who’s your date for the ball?” Ash asked.

  “I don’t have a date. I thought you and I were gonna go together,” I said.

  “Aww, babe. But I’m sure that you’ll get a date in no time,”  she said.

  I shrugged. I didn’t really mind going alone. I didn’t mind being alone, I sometimes even liked it.

  “With all the men falling for you, it won’t be hard,” she said. I glared at her.

  “I wish,” I said.

  “Okay, well I’ll see you at lunch.” She walked off to her office.

  I sighed, for the thousandth time. What Ash said wasn’t really true. But I was kind of confused about my feelings towards Christian. To me, he was still a friend, as cruel as that sounded. And there are definitely no thousand guys falling for me. One was a mistake, the other is a friend.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A/N

Please vote and comment xx

Damien