Chapter 9

Song of the chapter : Dia Frampton - Don't Kick a Chair (feat. Kid Cudi)

Ash >>>>>>

xxxxxxxxx

  I woke up in the morning, feeling refreshed. Damn, it’s been ages since I woke up like this. I really should sleep early more often.

  My mind went back to last night, and I suddenly smiled. Last night was really great. At last, a night spent with someone else that I didn’t wake up regretting.

  I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. 08:45.

  Shit.

  I quickly got out of bed, and rushed to the bathroom. I had a quick shower and got prepared. I didn’t have my fix of coffee, deciding that I’m gonna get it at work. I got out of my apartment, and looked at my wristwatch. 09:03.

  I ran and got to my car, but not before I looked at the street. There was a huge line of cars on the road, all standing still. Great, a traffic jam just when I needed to get to work more than ever. I got out of the parking lot and decided to run all the way to work. It wasn’t far, if you were used to it. Just manageable.

  I ran through the streets, bumping people along the way and saying a lot of ‘excuse me’s and ‘sorry’s. I got to work and glanced at my watch again. 09:25. Twenty five minutes late, that would be noticed. I walked in inconspicuously, but, to more of my surprise, Mr Mason was at the reception area talking to Amber. And he noticed me.

  Just fucking great.

  He looked at me in surprise, “Max, you’re late.”

  “Uhmm, yes. I’m sorry, that won’t happen ever again. I just had to run all the way from home because there’s a huge traffic jam,” I answered feebly, looking down at my feet.

  “Okay, but make sure it doesn’t happen again, ya?” he said.

  “I’m definitely sure it won’t happen again,” I said.

  “Max, I know it will happen again. Just don’t make it a daily occurrence,” he said softly.

  I smiled, “Thanks.”

  He just nodded and turned back to Amber. I huffed out in relief and walked to my desk. I sat down and got to work. Work took my mind off anything. I really loved doing graphic design. It was really cool and I also get to experiment with some stuff, unless the client didn’t want a drastic change to their image. My work rarely got rejected, and when it did, I only had to make a small change, like a colour or shape.

  Five minutes into working, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Ash standing there, her hands on her hips and an impatient look on her face.

  “Ash, my favourite whore in there world,” I exclaimed, standing up to hug her. But not before she pushed me away.