Chapter 26

Song of the chapter: Ke$ha - C'mon

Mr (Paul) Mason >>>

xxx

  I woke up from my deep sleep to the smell of bacon.

  A-fucking-gain.

  I walked over to the kitchen semi-drowsily, still recovering from my sleep. I saw Cameron standing by the stove, cooking away. I walked to the bar stool that sat next to the kitchen island. I was too tired to creep up behind him. Cameron turned back to me and smiled.

  “Hey,” he greeted.

  “You know, I love bacon and all. But I think I’m getting tired from waking up to the smell of it,” I informed him. He chuckled.

  “Who doesn’t love bacon, Max? Okay, I’ll stop the day after tomorrow,” he said, still chuckling. I look at him perplexedly.

  “You mean, you’re planning on staying here?”

  He shrugged. “Yeah, do you want me too?”

  “Well, don’t you have your own place or something?”

  “Yeah, I do.”

  “And don’t you have exams to be studying for?”

  “Yeah.”

  “And do you see how all of that doesn’t add up to the reason that you’re staying here?”

  He sighed. “Max, I can go, if you want me to.”

  “No, I’m not chasing you out of here. At least not yet. I just don’t want us to rush things, and have you moving in here. You can stay over for the night and stuff.”

  “Okay,” he answered simply.

  “How did you know about my reason for breaking up with Christian,” I asked. He looked at the pan for a minute, which now had eggs. He then sighed.

  “I guess I neglected to tell you that Christian and I are somewhat friends now. On the night I came here, before I came here, though, Christian called me. He sounded sad. He told me about what happened and why. And he told me that he would really like to stay friends, even if the situation can sometimes get pretty awkward. And then he started telling me about chasing after you, and how you are the best thing that can happen to anyone. And that I should make you happy, no matter what,” he said. I saw tears forming in his eyes, but he didn’t dare let them fall. He turned back and started dishing up the food, while I sat there, stunned.

  Wow, Christian really is a great guy, the best guy that anybody could wish for. The fact that he called the very same person that was the reason I broke up with him and said all those things is pretty fucking amazing. And that he forgives me (at least that’s what I think) straight after I broke his heart is nothing short of incredible. He too, is the best thing that could happen to anyone, and I really do think I would’ve stayed with Christian if it wasn’t for the deeper feelings I had for Cameron. 

  I ate my breakfast with Cameron in silence. I think he was still thinking about what he just told me because his face looked sullen. I felt really bad for making him like this. But I only just asked him to tell me the truth.

  After I finished my breakfast, I got up from my seat.

  “I’m going to get ready for work,” I told Cameron. He looked at me boldly.

  “No, you’re not,” he told me.

  I laughed a little. “Yes I am. I think it’s about time I go.”