Chapter 3

Song of the chapter : Paramore - Now

Ellie Goulding who plays Ashley Beckworth

✘✘✘

*RIIINGG RIIING RIIING RIIING*

I hit the dismiss alarm button on my phone as I woke up. I don’t know how many times I hit the snooze button that morning, just enough that I actually woke up.

*DIING*

I looked at my phone again, and it was none other than Ash. We should be dating if she keeps up like this.

Ash : Wake up. Run and Starbucks today. I’m already up and ready. 

“Shit,” I said tiredly. Today we had our city run, which meant we ran all around the city like mad people. We done it with Zoë every Wednesday and Friday. I started doing it when Ash begged me on Saturday in our movie night in. I, of course, said yes.

Me : Okay, is Zoë coming?

Ash : Yeah I just texted her.

I got up from my bed and walked to the bathroom. I washed my face and put on my tracksuit pants and a white t shirt with a pair of trainers. I took my iPod and earphones and walked out of my apartment.

I met up with Ashley and Zoë at Ash’s apartment and we began jogging. I started playing some Paramore while we picked up speed. We ran through Central Park, and through every street in the city. Funny how we never went through the same street twice.

Zoë tapped my shoulder. “Dude, tell me more about this one night stand,” She asked.

I glared at her. “Zoë, I’m trying my best to forget about it.”

She looked at me. “Wow, it was that bad?”

“Uhm, I don’t remember any of it.”

“Oh. Hhmmm,” she said. I looked at her and chuckled.

“You make it seem as if there’s more to it,” I said.

“Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t. Who knows?” She smiled.

I stopped and burst out laughing. I couldn’t take it anymore. She just loves fooling around and I couldn’t even take her seriously at this point.

I continued running and went to Starbucks for coffee. I took it and went back to my apartment to get showered and changed. Then work it was.

~~~~~~

I was working on a really big project for one of the company’s biggest enterprises. I had to hand in this project by midday today. So I spent the whole morning putting in the final touches. Ash was busy with her team on another project.

When I was done I walked to Mr Mason’s office. I walked through the door, my face glued to the project in my hands. It was a thick folder, and I would be really pissed if it wasn’t good enough.

“Uhmm, Mr Mason? I need to…,” I trailed off, seeing as he was in the room with someone else. He looked at me, his brown eyes on the folder.

“Ah, Max. Thank you. I knew you pull through with this, this being a big project and all.” Mr Mason said, smiling. My body felt warm. Yay, half of the battle’s won.

The man he was talking to turned around to face me.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

His eyes went wide and so did mine. I just stood there, astonished.

Mr One. Night. Fucking. Stand.

Just as I was forgetting about him, he appears again.

“Oh, Max?” he said as he smirked. I really wanted to slap him.

“Max, I see you haven’t met my son. This is Cameron. Cameron, that is Max,” Mr Mason said, his eyes on me the whole time.

His son?

I slept with my boss’s son?

I slapped my boss’s son?

I think I better prepare to be fired. Or better yet, resign.

“So you’re the infamous Max. Heard a lot about you,” Cameron said, still smirking.

“Pretty sure you did,” I said calmly, looking at him firmly in the eyes.

He held out his hand, waiting for me to shake it. I shook it, and looked over at my boss, who had a perplexed look on his face.

“Mr Mason, can I go now,” I said. I went to him to hand in the folder.

“Okay, wait a minute. I still need to look at this, then you can go do other work,” he said. I took the seat next to the one that Cameron sat in and looked at Mr Mason. I ignored Cameron, who kept staring at me. I hate it when people stare at me, it makes me feel nervous.

“This is excellent, Max. But what can I expect? I’m definitely putting this on the pitch for the investors,” he said.

YAAAYYYY. My project’s been approved. Now I’m gonna go out tonight to celebrate. I felt really warm and excited. I wanted to ask him for a raise, but I know I would be stretching it. I smiled at him while he closed the folder and put it on his desk.

“Max, you can go,” he said.

“Thank you, Mr Mason,” I said, still smiling like an idiot.

“Please, call me Paul,” he said.

“But dad, He can call you Paul but I can’t?” Cameron whined.

I got up from my seat and walked to the door. I pulled out my phone and dialled Ash’s number.

She picked up. “Max?” she said.

“Café. Now.” I demanded as I ended the call. I went over to my desk, organized everything and went to the café. I saw Ash already there with two sandwiches in front of her. I walked over to her and sat in front of her. She looked up from her phone.

“Guess what?” I asked.

“You got laid?” she said sarcastically.

I gave her a flat look. “Close but no. My project got approved,” I said excitedly.

Her eyes went wide as she jumped on the table to give me a hug.

“Congrats babe. I knew it would. You’re the best graphic designer I know so it’s no surprise. But this was a big project for you so you deserve it. We should celebrate tonight with a thousand vodka shots,” she gushed. She carried on and on and I knew that at this moment I should tune her out.

When she was done, I asked her again. “Guess what?”

This time there was a grim look on my face. She gave me a bored look. “Okay, Max.”

“Remember the one night stand?” I said, looking down at my sandwich that she bought for me.

“Yeah,” she said, her eyes lighting up. I raised my head, looking at her right in the eye.

Suddenly she looked over my shoulder and stared. I looked at her, confused. Then I turned to look at what she was staring. And she was staring at Cameron.

What a ridiculous name.

Cameron saw me and headed over to me. I turned back to Ash, and shook her. Her gaze shifted to me. “What?” she seethed. I glared at her. Just then I heard a voice beside me.

“Max.”

✘✘✘

A/N

So guys please vote and comment. It'll mean so much to me :)