「 rooftop talks 」

chapter thirty

rooftop talks

Because the birdsong might be pretty,But it's not for you they sing,And if you think my winter is too cold,You don't deserve my spring

But it's not for you they sing,
And if you think my winter is too cold,
You don't deserve my spring.

MARCH, KNOWN FOR the beginning of spring in Britain. A time of new beginnings and a welcoming of new life. The nights were starting to get light again and blossom was starting to bloom on the bare branches. Along with the floral arrangements came the return of the woodland creatures. From Hedgehogs to Cornish Pixies, the hibernation period was over as things seemed to be settling at Hogwarts for the first time in months. As the fifth and seventh years prepared for the exams, everyone else had been forced out of the library, dorms, and Great hall so the smoking spot had been populated by all their friends. Not like Eleanor spoke to them much. The paranoia of being around them got too much. Marlene, Edith and Dorcas stayed with her most of the time because that way she couldn't worm her way out.

The morning after her birthday, she had awoken to an empty dorm room and a rather large box on the end of her bed that she almost knocked off. She had told Lily not to buy her anything and the rest she didn't even tell that it was her birthday. To her surprise, it was filled to the brim with things wrapped in red tissue paper - she didn't know whether that was because it was her favourite colour was red or because she is a Gryffindor. On top of all of it was a rectangular piece of card that had Lily's elegant writing scrawled across it:

You said that I couldn't buy you anything, so I didn't. Enjoy your handmade presents.

Next time, tell us when your birthday is.

James!

Wha- Ow, Evans!

The blonde couldn't help but laugh at the two, he had obviously used a self-writing quill that picked up on their conversation. She wondered what her best friend had done, probably a slap to the back of the head like she gave Eleanor. She dove through the box, revealing clusters of photos from most of her friends. Alice and Frank had baked her some Apple turnovers, Marlene had sewn her a new dress - she never knew the girl was into fashion design, Remus had gotten her a book but she didn't mind, James had done the same and gotten her a David Bowie album as he claimed that she only told Lily not to buy her anything. Though, she assumed that this was originally for Remus whose birthday was a week or so away. Mary had left an IOU for flying lessons, Isadora had made her a bracelet with charms she had sculpted herself, Lily had gifted her a beautiful silver Dahlia necklace that her dad likely crafted as he was a steelworker and had made jewellery before. It was her favourite flower too, she couldn't believe that the redhead remembered. She had pointed them out in Lily's garden when they were seven, expressing her admiration.